Identity Exchange

Before we begin, there are two quotes from Harry Potter and the Order and the Phoenix.

"What is this nonsense, Potter? Do you wish me dead?" Snape asked angrily.

Albus was trembling. "N-no, sir! Why would I w-want that?"

"And why are you wearing Slytherin robes? Tired of being the Gryffindor Golden Boy?" Snape sneered.

Albus stopped trembling. "Gryffindor Golden Boy?" he asked, nonplussed.

"Who is this new friend of yours?" Snape asked as he started walking out of the library. "Are you too good for Weasley now? And where's Granger? Have you finally realized she's an annoying, insufferable know-it-all?"

"Aunt Hermione is not insufferable or annoying!" James shouted, unable to keep quiet any longer.

Snape stopped abruptly. "Have you been Confunded?"

"No, I haven't been Confunded," James sneered. He craned his own head around to get a good look at the man who just insulted his aunt.

If Snape was shocked, it didn't show on his face, which remained impassive. After a few moments, he resumed escorting the boys out of the library. "You're coming with me. And don't drag your feet!" he ordered when James suddenly became heavier. Albus kept quiet. He was feeling extremely hurt inside. How could the man who expressed so much regret and remorse insult his aunt so harshly? Yes, she was very smart, but she wasn't insufferable. And which Weasley was he referring to? It was most probably Uncle Ron since he, his dad, and Aunt Hermione were inseparable during their time at Hogwarts. They were like peas in a pod.

Soon, they reached the Potions classroom, and Snape threw the boys down harshly as soon as they went inside. Albus and James winced as the Potions Master went to his potions closet and came back with a small bottle. Albus's eyes widened.

"Professor Snape, is that Veritaserum? Why—"

"Don't ask questions," Snape cut in. "Lift up your fringe."

Albus lifted the hair covering his forehead. "I'm not Harry Potter, if that's what you're thinking."

"I can see that. Now, if you would stop talking out of turn—"

"Sorry, sir," Albus immediately replied.

"Don't interrupt me. Understand?" Snape said dangerously.

Albus trembled again. "Yes, sir."

"Good." He turned to James. "I am normally against using Veritaserum on a student, but I'm going to administer it on you so that there's no chance you're lying. You may very well be a Death Eater in disguise. Open your mouth."

"But why? Don't you trust us?" James asked contemptuously.

"Just do it. Don't cross him," Albus said through gritted teeth.

"I'd listen to your friend if I were you," Snape agreed silkily. "Open your mouth. I won't ask you again."

James reluctantly opened his mouth, and Snape administered the required three drops onto his tongue. Then, Snape stood back, conjured a self-writing quill and parchment, and got right to business.

"What is your full name?"

"James Sirius Potter," James replied, suddenly having a blank expression and emotionless tone.

Snape raised an eyebrow, but he moved on. "Your date of birth?"

"March 25, 2004."

Snape looked even more perplexed and raised his other eyebrow. "Are you trying to resist the effects of the potion?"