Chapter 25

"Fitz looks like this"

~~~~~

          Fitz's mind was dead silent and cold. It felt like when my human parents had their memories erased. But Fitz hadn't had his memories erased. The temperature dropped and all I wanted to do was follow the warmth back up and out of Fitz's mind.

          Foster, this is one of his tricks. Snap out of it.

          I created a mental figure for myself so Keefe could see where I was.

          How did you do that?

          Just try and concentrate on making yourself appear. Pretend you're drawing yourself into Fitz's mind.

          A few seconds later, Keefe was standing next to me. But he looked more like a drawing. 

          Umm, Keefe, when I said imagine drawing yourself I didn't mean literally

          Keefe vanished and reappeared with a grin on his face.

          Better?

          Much better. Now, we need to figure out how to get out of this cold empty space.

          I search through the corners of the space for an opening or a crack in his shield.

          Foster, you may want to take a look at this.

          I head over towards Keefe and notice a huge opening that wasn't there before.

          "I was tired of your worthless searching," Fitz said.

          It appeared after I touched this wall. You didn't reveal anything.

          "Yes, I did," Fitz snapped.

          You can't lie to the Empaths.

          I heard Fitz's thought swimming around in that portion of his mind and right as I stepped through the gaping hole I saw the familiar craziness of his mind. Though at the same time it was neat and tidy. Not as tidy as Lord Cassius's mind, but still tidy.