Chapter 6- A Sleepover and A Coffee Date

I arrived at Diana's at 7 because what best friend would I be if I didn't arrive an hour early to set up. I knocked on the door and Diana opened it. "Anne!" Diana squealed and then hugged her, "You're here early."

"Well my best friend is having a sleepover and we need to set up and to talk amongst ourselves right?" I said smiling. Diana nodded in agreement and thew we walked into the house. When we walked into the kitchen, Gilbert was looking for snacks. "Hey, Gilly boy." I laughed. Gilbert turned around as if they scared him and then greeted them back. Diana realized what Gilbert was about to eat and ran over to him.

"Mom bought those for the sleepover." Diana yanked the cookies out of his hand. "But I'm hungry now... Mom can I have a cookie!" Gilbert yelled. Their mom answered back "yes" and Gilbert laughed at Diana which resulted in her telling him to "Shut up" and rolling her eyes. Their sibling banter continued to go back and forth. They hardly acted like this in school and I has no siblings, so I found humor in this. I decided to have some fun of my own and stole the last cookie before Gilbert could get it.

"Hey. I was eating those." Gilbert whined. Diana and I laughed at him. "I was hungry too." The 3 continued to laugh and talk until the rest of their friends knocked on the door. Diana went to answer it, so Anne decided to ask the question that was burning in her chest, "How was coffee with Ruby?"

Gilbert's POV

Ruby and I walked over to Starbucks. Honestly, I was not excited. Ruby was clinging to my arm as she needed to for dear life. It's 90° outside.

"Hey Ruby, maybe you should loosen up a bit," Gilbert said suggesting that she do so. "I'm fine," Ruby said smiling. Gilbert sighed, "Hey Ruby, loosen up a bit." Gilbert said, not suggesting this time. The change in tone made Ruby automatically get off his arm.

They got to Starbucks and ordered. Ruby got a pink drink, which Gilbert found matches her personality exactly, and he got a cold brew. They sat down at a table and for a few minutes, it was very awkward. Gilbert reminded himself, he was once close with Ruby. The only reason why it stopped was because of her obsession.

"Do you still love that band, what was the name," Gilbert said trying to pull out old details to start a conversation. "One Direction? Of course! They are the literal best." Ruby said gushing. It had been a long time since Gilbert saw Ruby gush over anyone other than him.

"Do you still want to go to medical school?" Ruby asked. Gilbert smiled, "Yeah. I do. I didn't think you remembered that." Ruby laughed, "It's me, of course, I remembered. Like I remember how we used to be almost like best friends." Gilbert nodded. "I'm sorry I ruined that for us Gilbert."

The rest of the coffee date was barely a date. It was just two old friends getting coffee catching up on life.

Back to the present and Anne's POV

Gilbert told her about the coffee date, and Anne was confused. "You and Ruby were super close before?" Gilbert nodded, "Yeah, but then her crush turned into more of an obsession and I couldn't take it."

The two realized they had been talking for almost 20 minutes, when Diana came in and practically yelled, "Well, where are my best friend and my brother, who are supposed to be in the living room with everyone else?"

They then left the kitchen and went to join the others. Ruby looked at them weirdly as they entered, "What were you two up to?" Gilbert looked at Anne and responded, "Nothing, just talking."

"Enough talking, I'm bored," Billy whined. Jane rolled her eyes. "We just got here." The siblings went back and forth for a minute, until Josie said, "I have an idea. We can play truth or dare." Everyone agreed although Anne was a bit unsure.

They sat on the couches and began. "I'll start. Ruby truth or dare." Josie began. "Truth." "Is it true that you have a crush on Moody as well?" Ruby looked at Moody and froze. That was her friend and she may have had a little crush but not anymore, at least to her belief.

"No, not currently." She answered. "So you had one before?" Josie said smirking. "You can only ask one question." Ruby crossed her arms. "Anne truth or dare." "Uh, dare, why not."

"I dare you to call a random number of someone from your previous school and do a prank call," Ruby said. "I, uh, thats not a good dare. Can I get a different one?" Josie rolled her eyes, "Come on, just do it. You could even use my phone." Anne took Josie's phone and dialed.

The phone rang and rang until, "Hello? Who is this?" Anne froze at the sound of Zanylah's voice. "Who is this!" Anne sat there unable to say anything. "Whatever." The phone hung up. "What was that, Anne," Josie asked.

"I said it wasn't a good dare." "Well, why not?" Ruby chimed in. "Because," Anne paused. She sighed and finally said, "Her and everyone else in that school bullied me for years. That's a reason why I switched schools. They are cruel people."

Everyone was silent, unsure of what to say. Diana pulled Anne into a hug. After they moved from each other, Anne resumed the game, giving Cole a dare. Then it was Cole's turn. "Anne, dare or dare." "Wait, what?" "Okay great. I dare you to do 7 minutes in heaven with Gilbert." Cole smirked.

"But- I." Anne stuttered, she gave in and got up. "Gilbert?" Anne looked down at him, the boy was in a state of utter shock. "Gilbert?" Anne asked again. He got up and nodded, then the two made their way to the nearest closet. They stood there for a few minutes, and the two were sure the tension could cut a knife.

"So what should we do?"

"I have a few ideas."