Ayen_Ree's Author Interview

The Wattpad Filipino Block Party 2020

Codename: A¥

#TWFBP2020 #TWFBPYore

1. Ano-ano ang mgapinaka-surprising na mga bagay na natutunan niyo sa paggawa ng mga kwento?

- That there are a lot of things that I haven't fully understood. Alam mo 'yon? Akala mo 'yung nakikita mo ay 'yung totoo na – 'yung mismong content but no, it's just the surface of it. That's what I love about writing – you can be in-depth with the topic you thought you knew yet you realized that it's just the surface of it.

2. What do you prefer to write: Series or Standalone stories? Why?

- Series! Kasi, for example, I plan to write standalone stories. As the story progresses, sisingit sa utak ko nagawin nalang siyang series, in the end, I end up with three or more stories under it. At tsaka writing a series is a much more fun task for me. Nakatutuwa lang kasing ipagsama-sama ang mga characters sa isang book, for example, a meet-up for them. At tsaka, kaya ko rin gusto ang series dahil nakikita mo 'yung buhay nila – that they're just not mere lines, personalities, or side-characters. I also want to give them the story that they deserve.

3. Ano ang weird writing habit ninyo?

- Since I don't have a proper study table or something, I have a side table that's enough for my liking. Katabi siya ng kama ko so habang nagta-type ako, I have my dantayan on my lap to support my elbows. Nakapatong siya ro'n habang nagta-type ako haha.

4. Among your stories, what particular scene is difficult for you to write?

- The revelation ones! Heavy scenes because I'm not good at it. I really struggled with it especially with Veille Symphony's demands. Kahit na noong ni-revise ko ay satisfied ako, then I'll read it after a few days, I realize that it's not enough – it sounded bland and passive to me. I believe that I need to work on with the dialogues.

5. Saan kayo mas nacha-challenge sa pagbuo ng first chapter or sa epilogue?

- Sa epilogue, I guess? Kasi iyon talaga 'yung part ng story ko na mahaba. My usual word count is 3-4k for STATION and 4-5k for In Act. Pagdating ng epilogue, I exceed around 10k+ or so. Even though it just recalls the previous events, I need to add more to add depth for my character's point of view. Parang it's the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to showcase what they've been thinking throughout the story, the reason why it's challenging.

6. If you can bring one of your characters to life, who will it be and why?

- Elisha Donovan, Elgene's younger sister. She deserves to have a happy family and live on with her brother. Nadamay lang siya sa kasakiman nila.

7. Among your characters, who's the closest to you? Why?

- Si T, Yuan's girl!!! Though hindi pa posted ang story niya under STATION Series, some of my personalities became a base for her. Katulad din ng characters nina Freesia, Brella, and Erych, whose personalities are based from my friends', gano'n din kay T. T is kind of snobbish and mataray but she's kind. Nakatatakot lang mata niya kasi parang laging nang-iirap. However, her beliefs are is very far from mine. Pagdating sa beliefs, ang pinakamalapit sa 'kin ay si Lavien.

8. If you could collaborate with any author (local man or international), who would it be and why?

- Ate Dane (blackpearled)! I want to learn from her, hangang-hanga ako sa way ng pagna-narrate ni Ate Dane kasi ang galing-galing niya ro'n. Ang linis niya rin magsulat tapos ang linis din ng transition. Lalong-lalona 'yung figures of speech ni Ate! Grabe, supeeeer galing!

9. Anong famous story (be it classic or contemporary Literature) ang hinihiling mong ikaw ang nakapagsulat? Bakit?

- Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I really love how he uses his words and how he describes things and people alike. Ang ganda ng word choices niya! Very detailed. I aspire to have that kind of power to write and narrate things.

10. What are your future plans in your writing career?

- I plan to keep on writing until I finish my upcoming series. Hopefully, while/after I finish those, my passion in writing is still in me.

To my dear Ampersands,

Thank you so much for being with me and for spending time in reading my stories. Thank you for the appreciation you've been giving me. Nakatataba ng puso ang mgaginagawaniyosa 'kin. Be it the simple "add to reading list", vote, comment, and/or a follow, it is enough for me to know that someone out there stumbled upon my stories and gave them a chance to be listened and understood.

Always remember that you are appreciated and loved. Please always, always know your worth. Do not be afraid to improve for the better. You can do what you plan to do as long as you aspire for it, is determined, and is also dedicated to do it. You can do it. I believe in you.

All the love,

ayen