Chapter 17

It's been four moths since Annie was kidnapped. It's been four months since Peeta and I had to announce that the Games are back on and we got Annie back. It's been four months since Finnick's whipping. And it's been four months since I last talked to Gale.

Finnick is nearly back to how he was. Everything is turning out perfectly. Except for one thing. The 76th Annual Hunger Games are coming up in one week. Since Haymitch is no longer with us, Peeta and I have to mentor two innocent kids. I try not to think about it too much, but I know that I am going to have to at some point. Seeing 23 young kids die for the sake of entertainment. It sickens me. Being a mentor will make the Games even worse. 

Peeta said that everything would all work out. This time, I'm not so sure it will. We have less power than the last time the Capitol was in control. We have no chance of a rebellion again. I guess we are going to have to live like this forever. Peacekeepers walking the streets, whippings, hangings, electric fences, and the Hunger Games. There is nothing we can do about it this time, except obey the Capitol.

"Mommy" Finnick say while hobbling down the stairs. "What is it sweety?" I ask. "There was a man knocking at my window. I think he said his name was Gale?" Finnick says to me. I don't say anything. I just walk over and open the door. I walk around the side of the house and see him still knocking on Finnick's window.

"Gale? What are you doing?" I ask him confused. "Oh um...." Gale says looking around. "You can just knock on the front door, you know." I say still confused. "Oh, sorry. I didn't think you would want me to." he says walking towards me. "So Catnip. About that kiss..." he says while putting hands around my waist. "No Gale! Not this time!" I says pushing him off me. "But why not?" Gale says trying to kiss me. "Because I love Peeta!" I yell at him.

Peeta must have heard me because he rushed around the corner. "Gale, get away from her!" Peeta yells while standing in front of me. "Why should I? It's not like she's your property or anything!" Gale yells back trying to get to me. "Because she doesn't love you!" Peeta yells back at him. Gale stops trying to get to me and faces Peeta.

"What did you say?" Gale yells at Peeta. "I said she doen't love you!" Peeta repeats even louder a second time. "Thought so." Gale yells. He gets his punch ready to hit Peeta in the face. I quickly jump between them. His fist hits me on the side of head. Hard. The world around me goes blurry. I feel arms pick me up and carry me somewhere.

I'm seeing things again. I'm in the arena. The tracker jackers have just stung me multiple times. I hate that I killed Glimmer, but it was my only way out. The hillucinations begin. Everything goes blurry and I'm still being carried somewhere.

"Katniss! Katniss! Stay with me!" My eyes open and I see Peeta's face looking straight ahead. I try to say something to him, but no words come out. "I need a doctor fast! Please! Help!" Peeta screams out. I think I'm in the hospital. Peeta lays me down on something soft. It feels like my bed at home. He holds my hand and I start to move, but I don't let go. Another hand seperates ours and I see Peeta and the kids getting further and further away from me.

I hear a bunch of buttons beep and a lot of people surround me. Now I know I'm in the hospital. "Put ice on that bump." somebody calls out. Then I feel cold on my head. I lift to move it off, but somebody pulls my hand down. I see a nurse inject a needle in my arm and the world goes black.