Chapter Three

IT WAS PITCH BLACK. Thoma and I narrowed our eyes as we walked through the corridor, and Ray turned on the flashlight, but it did nothing to tell us what's out there.

"It's like a long, endless tunnel," I breathed. "I can't believe Subaru walked out there alone."

All of a sudden, I felt a breath against the back of my neck. Reminded of the fangs of that monster, my body broke out into goosebumps. What was that?! I covered the nape of my neck anxiously and turned around, only to see Thoma's blinding smile.

"Are you scared?" he asked, and I stumbled back with a yelp.

Of course I was scared - the question was: wasn't he? I felt silly for being so jumpy, but could one really blame me? Trying to hide my embarrassment, I gave Thoma a good strong poke.

"Ow, ow!" He recoiled. "Okay, sorry."

Thoma laughed, and I suddenly wasn't sure he was sorry enough. I was about to poke him again when I noticed Ray looking at us to figure out what was going on. For some reason, my first thought was that I hoped he hadn't seen that I had been about to cry.

"No need to be afraid," said Thoma calmly. "I'll let you come with me."

I blushed under both of their gazes. "Oh, i-it's fine." I can't be looked after all the time; I need to play my part, too. "I'll go the other way."

"Alright, then," Thoma frowned, a hint of worry on his face. "See you later." Reluctantly, Thoma waved goodbye as he walked in the opposite direction.

That look on his face just then, was that fear? Perhaps he had hoped I would go along with him, keep him company, so that neither of us had to be scared. I was about to reconsider his offer, but I could no longer make him out.

"Okay, I have to get going, too," I told myself, staring into the blackness. But as soon as I took a step, I felt my legs freeze up. I've never been anywhere this dark. I shook my head, and then found myself turning in the direction Thoma had headed off. "So much for not being afraid," I whispered, when I sensed something moving behind me. I clutched the baseball bat tighter to my chest.

"You should have said so earlier then."

It was Ray. Feeling him step beside me, I let out a sigh of relief.

"I-I'm not scared. I just..."

Ray let out a quiet laugh - it seemed like he would be harder to fool than Thoma had been. This was embarrassing.

"Don't push yourself too hard," he said, and patted my head softly. This again? "Given the circumstances, it's perfectly normal for a human to be afraid. However, I question the mental health of those two fearless fools."

Normal for a human..? His words lingered. I didn't really understand what he meant by that, but maybe this was his way of trying to make me feel better. Did that mean that he was scared, too? Ray walked ahead of me, but then he stopped, turned, and smiled. It was a comforting smile, warmer than any I'd seen from him so far, and I got the urge to rush over to his side.

"What's the matter?" he asked. "Are you not coming with me?"

Without further hesitation, I ran up and walked with him. It was all far less scary with Ray by my side. Still, my heart was throbbing wildly within my chest.

"You know, I find you a bit bossy," I uttered into the quiet.

"Bossy?" he gasped.

"And stuck-up, too. But deep down, you're a nice -" Before I finished my sentence, Ray shined his flashlight in my face, making me squint and turn my head away. "Hey, that wasn't nice at all!"