Chapter Four

I WAITED FOR THE CARS to pass before I crossed the street. I wasn't sure if I had this right, but I tried to recall Ray's voice. If my memory served me correctly, he'd told everyone to meet up at this place. Plaza - check. Fountain - check. I glanced at my watch (it was just before 9:30). I was early, and nervous. The five of us were about to meet for the first time in real life.

The fountain showered fresh droplets of water into the basin below as I walked around to the other side of it. There, on the bench of the fountain, I saw someone with silvery hair sitting with his eyes closed. The earphones in his ears told me that he wanted to shut the world out, yet I could not ignore him. I mustered up the courage to walk towards him, slowly stepping closer, when he suddenly looked up. In an instant, I saw the image of Subaru in my head, his two-toned eyes shining in the dark. But something was different about this guy. He looked up at me, confused, and as I stood there mystified, he tilted his head, furrowing his brow.

"Subaru? Is that you?"

"Who else would it be?"

"But your eyes..." I trailed off, looking at them.

A grimace flashed across his face for a quick moment, but he immediately put on straight face. Then, I remembered how he'd reacted when I'd mentioned his eyes before. That he didn't like talking about them.

"Sit down." Subaru calmly patted the space next to him, and I took a seat. I wondered how long he'd been here.

"I've been anxious all morning. I couldn't stay still, so I'm here early," I admitted, changing the subject. "What about you?"

"I made an excuse to go out," he said, his gaze downcast. "It feels a bit uncomfortable staying at home."

"Do you have trouble with your parents?"

Subaru crossed his legs. "No, nothing like that..."

I guess he just doesn't like being at home. I wondered if it had anything to do with him not liking his eyes. What had happened to make him so self-conscious about them? I gazed at his left eye, the one that I knew to be naturally blue, and then the other. They were so captivating. Subaru looked back at me, clearly unsettled.

"What?"

"N-Nothing. It's just that..." He's wearing a coloured contact lens, isn't he? "I know it's a touchy subject for you, but I really like your eyes, Subaru. Your real ones are beautiful just the way they are."

Without really saying anything, Subaru ogled me with wide eyes, his gaze growing even more intense. He needed to stop looking at me like that! But before I could say so, my stomach rumbled, and my eyes bulged at the loud reminder that in my haste that morning, I had forgotten to eat. I glanced over at Subaru as he chuckled, covering his mouth with the back of his hand as if to contain his laughter.

"Oh, come on. It's not something to laugh about!" I told him, my cheeks red. Stupid stomach!

I pursed my lips in a pout, bending over to hide my belly. But then, instead of keeping it in any longer, Subaru let out a hearty laugh.

"I've never heard a stomach growl so loudly before! It's interesting."

His words come out with a hint of a smile. I was horribly embarrassed, but Subaru's laugh was so genuine that I watched him in awe; I'd never even seen him smile before then. He was really cute when he did. Smitten, I couldn't help but giggle, and he looked as if he was surprised for a moment before quickly retracting his smile.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing..."

"Let's go," he said suddenly. I looked around, but I couldn't figure out what he meant.