Chapter Nine

I AWOKE TO NOTHING but a headache and a view of an unfamiliar ceiling. My head was so heavy – maybe it had something to do with getting my memories back. I tried to get up, but firm hands pushed me back gently onto the bed. Bed? I was back at Ray's house, and apparently, in his room.

"R-Ray..?"

He shook his head as if to say, "You need to rest."

"Ziya, are you hurt anywhere?!" Thoma rushed to my side and started asking questions. "Can I get you anything? Glass of water? How do you feel? Do you want us to take you to the hospital? Should we –?"

"N-No, I'm fine," I breathed. "Just a little headache, that's all."

"We were so worried. We tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't open your eyes!"

"Really?" I looked at the three of them, and Subaru nodded.

"We thought you were a goner!" added Thoma. Ray gave him a swift smack upside the head.

"Your pulse was a bit erratic after the rest of us woke up, but it calmed down a few minutes before you regained consciousness."

I placed a hand over my forehead. "Oh. I, umm..." So much had happened that I didn't know where to start.

"We should leave her alone," Subaru suggested. "At least we know she's safe."

Thoma lifted himself off the bed. "We'll be outside if you need anything, alright?"

I smiled at the offer, "Thanks."

They all headed towards the door, but Ray shot me another glance. "Don't get out of bed if you're unwell, got that?"

"Wha –?"

His frown settled. "Doctor's orders."

I pouted. "You're not even a doctor yet."

"I'm as good as one," he smirked, and it made me chuckle.

I was glad they'd all woken up okay. Alone, I settled back down on the bed. I disappeared so suddenly in the nightmare world... I wonder if Licht is okay... Swiftly, I heard a knock on the door. I looked over and watched as Ray walked in, holding a tray.

"Drink this. It'll help if you feel dizzy." He handed me medicine and bottled water.

I followed his advice and fell right back onto the bed afterwards. Ray fixed some of the stuff by the bedside, and I observed him absorbedly. Before I knew it, he placed his hand over my face.

"Is your fever back?"

Of course, he's just checking my temperature... But his touch was so soothing that I closed my eyes in relaxation. The cool sensation of his hand was pacifying. Ah, I've felt this before. My father used to take care of me when I had a fever. But my reverie was broken by a soft chuckle.

I opened my eyes to find Ray smiling at me. "Did I wake you? Sorry about that. You were so cute." I watched him dazedly. "Does that feel good?"

With languid eyes, I stared into his and watched his expression change. I was starting to feel unbearably hot. Ray uttered my name, and I tried to smile, but a tear came first.

"Hm? Did I freak you out that much?" Ray blinked in surprise and looked away. "Sorry, I shouldn't have touched you without asking..."

Flustered, Ray tried to give me some space and prepared to leave the room. The truth was, I felt more comfortable with him next to me. But could I ask him to stay?

"No..." I muttered as he held the door. Afraid that the cold would come creeping in, I mustered the courage to ask him, "Don't leave me. Please, stay with me a little longer."