Chapter Fourteen

THE MEDICS BROUGHT OUT Thoma's body on a stretcher. I used to think I'd only ever see a scene like this in movies. Part of me desperately wished that this was only a nightmare, but... Thoma's mother rushed to the ambulance, trying to get a hold of her son's body, but her husband stopped her before she could.

"My little boy!" she cried out like a siren, her anguish ringing of the undeniable truth.

Thoma's dead.

Ray was still talking to the police. He looked fine now, but how long would that last? We had to tell the authorities that we were all close friends, that we had enjoyed a night out and came back to the hotel together, that we'd found Thoma like that when we had woken up. When I looked at his parents, especially his mom, it felt unbearable to keep the raw truth to ourselves, but who would believe us? How would that help them?

All at once, I felt something creeping up behind me. "Ah... Subaru." I watched him smooth out the blanket he had just laid over my shoulders.

"Stay warm."

I smiled at his simple gesture, although I felt like out of everyone here, I deserved to be comforted and cared for the least. Still, I thanked him. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"It's tragic. Thoma was my friend, too."

Ah... It shocked me to hear him say that. I thought back to how Thoma had nagged him for another round of Snakes and Ladders, and how they had squabbled outside of the library just yesterday. Even without his childhood memories, I was glad that Subaru could call Thoma his friend.

"Yeah." I took his hand, squeezing it tightly, as I looked up at him. "And Ray needs our support more than ever. I don't want anyone else to die." The last part came out in a croak, reality scratching its way up and out of my throat.

"We'll make sure it doesn't happen."

The conversation, or Subaru's conviction, sparked hope in my otherwise overcast heart, as Ray came towards us.

"Let's go."

"Huh? Go where?" I asked.

"To the orphanage, of course," said Ray sternly.

Subaru pouted with concern. "Are you sure that's a good idea right now? You might not look it, but this has surely taken a toll on you." He tried a smile, "You're upset and exhausted. It would be better to rest."

I was surprised to see Subaru so worried about him, but I appreciated it immensely. We'd definitely all forged a strong bond after all the struggles we'd been through. We'd look out for one other.

"I agree with Subaru. It's been a tough night, Ray," I tread lightly. "Maybe we should -"

"We only have until sundown," he shot back. "We can't afford to waste time." And then, it was clear that he was pushing himself to keep from breaking down. A mix of fury and anxiousness seeped out of him. Subaru and I were stilled. "We're going to the orphanage. Now," he frowned, walking briskly towards Thoma's car.

Thoma's car... I ran after him, worried. "We should return the car, Ray."

"They gave it to me."

Subaru caught up. "What do you mean?"

"His old man says they don't want the car anymore."

I guess to Thoma's parents, the car is only going to be a source of painful reminders. It kind of made sense, but something about being in Thoma's car again, without Thoma, didn't. Ray swiftly entered on the driver's side and turned on the engine without a hitch. I couldn't think of anything else to say that might have stopped him, so I just decided to go along. In the end, Subaru and I both got in, knowing Ray was right. If we wanted to get back to our normal lives, we had to get out of The Nightmare as soon as possible. Even if things can't ever be normal again...