Chapter 7

Two more weeks passed. And not a single thing happened between me and Saki after our day out. We texted every day since, we spoke every day at school, yet nothing more really developed between us.

It was a cold Monday morning, and I had overslept, so Haru went ahead without me. I ran across the streets as fast as I possibly could, very conscious of the time. I was tired, sweaty, cold and out-of-breath. People were watching me, but I wasn't bothered. What a great start to the week.

Five minutes later, I arrived at school. Class was about to start, but I paused outside to take a breather. I dropped to the ground in an attempt to catch my breath. That was too much for a Monday morning.

"Mako-kun? What are you doing?"

I look up to see Rin standing in front of me. She had a confused look on her face.

"Morning, Rin-san." I stood up slowly, slightly less out-of-breath. "I overslept, so I had to run over here."

"Well, before your class begins, may I have a quick word with you?"

"Sure. What about?"

"This morning, for the first time in over a month, Saki didn't recieve a letter."

"That's good, right?"

"I do not know, but as long as all of you are happy, I am sure it will be okay."

I smiled gently, and patted her head. "Thanks, Rin. Same for you."

The bell suddenly rang, making me jump slightly. Rin laughed at my reaction, and I smiled too.

A few hours passed, and it was now lunchtime. I was walking through the hallway when I felt something suddenly turn me around.

Haru was standing there with a cheeky smile. "You, mister, are coming with me." She grabbed me by the hand and pulled me along to an empty classroom.

"Haru, what's going on..?"

"Something's been on your mind recently. I could tell. Tell me, Mako. Is it about Saki-chan?"

I sighed. "You're right. There is something on my mind. And yes, it's about Saki-chan. The truth is, I've been meaning to ask her out on a date since that day we went to the movies. But there's not been a single chance for me."

Haru smiled gently. "I knew it. Which is why I'm going to make you ask her out today."

I began to feel nervous. I did really want to ask her out...

But I was so worried about what she would say.

"Seriously? You'd do that? But, what if she says no?"

Haru laughed. "One: yes. Two: of course! We're best friends, right? And three: dude, have some faith in yourself!"

Haru's words were kind; they created a spark in me. She was right. Maybe I should have some more faith in myself. I smiled gently, and patted her head. "Thanks. Let's do it."

"Mako... I love when you do that!"

"I know. That's why I did it."

Haru's face seemed to light up with that statement. She took a seat on a chair. I sat on another chair opposite her.

"So, Mako. Let's see what you could do." She pulls out her phone and starts typing away at something. I sat there watching, anxiously.

"How about... oh! How about this!" Haru turned her phone around.

A festival this Sunday.

On the beach.

Just me... and the beautiful, graceful, kind Saki.