Chapter 8

I pull out my knife. Edlynne charges at me, but I dodge her attacks. She hits me in the knee, badly injuring it. I take off my jacket, and wrap it around my injured knee. I'm losing a lot of blood, but I have to kill Edlynne. My vision is blurry from the blood I lost. I might not be able to do this after all. I kick her arm when she charges at me again, disarming her. I get behind her, grab her in a headlock, and slide my knife across her throat. Her cannon fires, crowning me as victor of the 64th Hunger Games. An announcement is made announcing me as the victor, and a hovercraft arrives. The blood from my knee flows gladly even though my body is frozen in place. When I get inside the hovercraft, people surround me, but I black out within seconds. I wake up in a hospital. I pull off the blanket, and see that my knee has mostly healed, but a scar remains. I decide to go back to sleep again. When I wake up, a nurse is standing in my room. She tells me to come with her, so I follow her to where the others are. I run over to Gloss and throw my arms around him. "I knew you could do it." Rose taps my shoulder, and I turn around to face her. She hugs me. "I'm so happy to see you again." The prep team spends all day getting me ready for my interview. I'm dressed in a sleeveless blue-green gown. My hair is in a half up half down style. My makeup is kept simple. My interview goes well, and I seem to be even more popular among the Capitol. What I dreaded most was rewatching the games. It starts in the bloodbath, where I have to watch Archer kill Naida all over again. I'm glad he's dead. It feels strange watching this, knowing 23 of those kids are now dead. It spends some time on Verity, who killed Waverly and Navy. The tracker-jackers. Me and Edlynne's argument. Archer's death feels just as satisfying to watch the second time. Issak lied to Edlynne and Laikynn that he saw someone in the distance so he could bring me my pack. I look away just in time to miss Issak's death. I'm glad, because I didn't want to watch that again. Nothing much happens until the poison. Laikynn pops a few berries in his mouth, and becomes pale as a ghost. He coughs up blood, and collapses on the ground, shaking. His cannon fires. My other kills. The final battle. It was all painful to watch. I'm grateful when it's over, I don't want to relive the games any longer. When I fall asleep, all I see is the Games. I wake up, terrified. I try to fall asleep again, but it'll just happen again. I decide not to go back to sleep. I have one more interview before I can go home. In the morning, Rose dressed me in a simple red dress with capped sleeves. The interview is the same as last night. Afterwards, Gloss pulls me aside. "President Snow wants to talk to you. I think I already know what it's about. Don't refuse the offer." This can't be happening. First Gloss, now me? I have to sell my body? I remember what happened last year, but who could they kill to convince me? Surely they wouldn't kill their own victors, especially when Gloss is so popular in the Capitol. Then I remember Velvet. She's my best friend, so I'll accept the offer, so she doesn't get hurt. I change clothes, and they take me to the President's mansion. I'm taken into a room, where President Snow is sitting. "Ms. Grandine" He begins. "I'm sure you know what I'm offering." "I'll take the offer." I say emotionlessly. "Good." Peacekeepers escort me out of the room. "Did you accept it?" Gloss asks me. I nod, but suddenly start to cry. Gloss hugs me. "Don't cry, it's okay." I hate this! The Capitol won't leave us alone, not even for a minute. First, our father's death, then the games, and now this? I hate the Capitol. I continue to sob, trying to pull myself together. I eventually collect myself, and calm down. We board the train, and finally, we can return to District 1.