Chapter 1 (SHORT)

I slip on an elegant black dress. Today is the day of the reaping for the 64th Hunger Games. My mother won the 34th Hunger Games, and Gloss won last year. Last year, last year our father was killed. Gloss was forced to sell his body to Capitol people, or they would kill me too. My name is only in there five times, I most likely won't be picked. I don't plan on volunteering. Well, I did up until last year. But I don't want to think about then. "You look beautiful, dear." My mother says, while she fixes my hair. When she's done, we head to the town square. I get my finger pricked.  I stand with the other 16 year old girls, next to Velvet. Velvet is my best friend, she's been for years. She's good looking, with ginger hair and cognac brown eyes. I have blonde hair and green eyes. I'm beautiful, and a lot of boys want me. Just haven't found the right one. The district's escort, Fefe Tulip, steps onto the stage. She's wearing all black, with a raven colored wig, and her violet eyes are as striking as ever. "Happy Hunger Games, as always, ladies first!" She trots over to the girls bowl. I'm hoping that it won't be Velvet. I don't know what I'd do without her. Fefe is back at the microphone and is reading the name. I silently pray it isn't Velvet. And it's not. It's Cashmere Grandine.