Cake

Footsteps echoed as Izuku rushed towards the kitchen.

    He dodged a stray chair and slid to a stop in front of the counter.

    The forette let a triumphant smile break out on his face, as he walked to the oven.

    Before he even set down a second step, he felt a hand set down on his shoulder.

    'Uh oh... .'

    "Yes? Izuku-dear . . ?"

    "I-I just wanted to help with the Matcha Rolls!"

    Inko inclined her head, a warning smile etched tightly on her features.

    Izuku shook as his mother uttered a dangerous, "oh . . ."

    He stepped back, it was a simple monosyllabic phrase, yes, but you have not felt fear like one a mother can cause.

    Midoriya gulped down a bit of his saliva as he stepped away from the Rolls, even his Dangersense recognized the danger it's user was in, and the forette already started to feel it's throbbing.

    "U-uh, a-actually maybe I should just watch the master! Yeah, and you've already got Eri!" Izuku chuckled, nervous.

    In answer, the blunette peeked out from Inko's legs as she looked at the older two with curiosity.

    Inko simply chuckled as Izuku all but ran to the counter in escape.

     Midoriya let out a sigh of relief, as Inko entered the kitchen.

     His mother walked to the oven as she used her Quirk to pull a pair of mitts into her hand.

    The female forette opened the oven up and pulled out a pan topped with a layer of Matcha Green cake.

    The scent, like anything Inko cooked, was heavenly--Izuku often joked she had two Quirks--The petite woman set it down in front of him as Eri watched in wonder.

    Izuku once again asked the question he had been since his mother declared she was making Matcha Rolls. "Why can't I help? I'm completely adequate in the kitchen!"

    She giggled.

    "I'm not doubting how good of a cook you are, dear. But you are horrible at baking."

    Midoriya stayed silent.

    "Absolutely horrible."

    "I get it, okay."

    She glanced at Eri, who was jumping in place trying for the counter.

    Inko grabbed her by the waist and set her down next to the cake. The girl muttered out a tiny thank you as she practically drooled in front of the tray.

    Inko placed a bit of parchment paper and a baking sheet on top and flipped the tray.

    She pulled forward a spatula and lifted the jelly roll pan and revealed the cake.

    "Eri, why don't you pull the parchment off?" said Inko, as she looked at the girl's red eyes.

    Izuku pouted, that used to be his job.

    When his mother saw, she just giggled again.

    When the two women were done, Inko placed another sheet of parchment over the cake, as Eri once again watched with wide-eyed wonder.

    And so Inko went through the ever-familiar motions of the Matcha Roll, until she was setting it down the layer rolled up and covered with a clean kitchen towel, speckled with green broccolis.

    Inko pulled the mixer towards her, as she grabbed a clear mixing bowl, and poured heavy cream, sugar, and matcha powder into it.

    Izuku hummed a tune, something he had heard over the radio. Naked Heart or something like that.

    For a few minutes, the sound of humming and the mixer created a somewhat erroneous soundtrack to their lives, but the family reveled in it nonetheless.

    Inko lay the cake flat and snatched an offset spatula, she looked at Eri--who was still drooling--and said, "Remember Eri, Spread the filling evenly throughout. No gaps."

    Izuku and Eri looked at the layer of the cake as the filling spread over the top.

    The female forette rolled it up tight and secured it with a layer of parchment paper. She twisted the ends like a candy wrapper and placed it into the refrigerator.

    She clapped her hands, "Alright dears, cleanup!"

    Izuku and Eri groaned in protest.

    "Come on dears . . . "

    Midoriya's face broke out into a grin. He loved this.