xxxviii. a sight to see

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHTxxxviii

xxxviii. a sight to see
_______

       Sebastian's eyes flew open. He cried out, grasping Percy's arms.

"It's okay," Percy promised, rubbing his thumb over Sebastian's knuckles comfortingly. "Bad dreams?"

Sebastian took a shaky breath. "Yeah."

Percy looked sympathetic but didn't pry. He knew Sebastian would talk when he wanted to. And he was aware that Sebastian wasn't used to dreams. The first one he'd had since he was human was about Carix LeBeau and Percy was pretty sure that was Gaea messing with his head like she had when he had the flashback about Henry.

Sebastian didn't expand about his dream. Simply because he didn't want to relive those memories again. It was nothing of importance, just flashes of pain and sorrow. Instead, he glanced around where they were. "Where are we?"

"Hermes' shrine," Percy answered. "Bob brought us here after he healed us both."

Sebastian glanced down at his stomach, recalling the searing pain of the empousa's claws ripping through the skin. But the only evidence of that ever happening was rips in his shirt and a faint red line. He also brought a hand up to his neck and, sure enough, that wound was gone too. "That's impressive healing."

"Though not quite as good as vampire blood," Percy smiled at the boy. He gently removed Sebastian's hand from his neck, leaning forward to plant a kiss there instead. "Still, you're as good as new."

Sebastian appreciated the gesture, but he couldn't say that was true. He wasn't the person he was. Though, perhaps that could be a good thing. Being mortal would give him something he never had before. A chance of living a mortal life. Yes, it was dangerous, but he'd never even considered that he could grow old with someone one day. That was a pretty amazing thing after two thousand years of never aging.

So, Sebastian couldn't hold back the grin as Percy casually leaned his head on Sebastian's shoulder. It seemed so mundane - despite being in Tartarus - but Sebastian found himself craving that feeling.

"Have you slept?" Sebastian asked.

"No," Percy replied. "I wanted to be awake when you woke up."

Though the words were heartwarming, Sebastian also noticed Percy's eyes flit to Bob and got the hidden message in his words. He didn't want to leave Bob watching over them, which was fair enough. Sebastian wouldn't trust any Titan to guard anything but themselves. Perhaps Bob was different given that his memory had been wiped but it still took time to trust someone.

"You should get some rest," Sebastian told him.

Percy moved his head, much to Sebastian's dismay. "It's fine. Besides, I'm too excited to sleep. Look."

Bob the Titan sat cross-legged by the altar, happily munching on a piece of pizza.

Sebastian rubbed his eyes, wondering if he was still dreaming. "Is that... pepperoni?"