Formality: Part II

Xander had arrived, sitting down at his seat as the blade and chalice's setting was quite peaceful, it was actually making him quite nervous. He had always done well with quiet, peace, being able to concentrate but what came with this meeting, it made him realize that he had to act with the interests of Hamish and Randall in mind, his pack. 

Xander was not left alone to his thoughts for another moment because was when Vera had chosen the moment to enter, it seemed like she had also dressed for the occasion. An attempt at bringing the wolves onto their side was certainly something but the dress, it certainly made him pay more attention if anything. 

It hugged her figure, accentuating her curves that he had to stop his eyes from running over her form like a dog in heat. A red strapless that just seemed to bring out her eyes more, he met her eyes for a moment and offered her the place opposite him. This was a meeting of two organizations, after all. 

"I see I was not the only one who wished to dress to impress today, I must say, you look stunning Vera."

The witch gave him a soft smile before they knew that business would take the stage in this little chat, so they both decided to get it out of the way, well, Xander decided and wished to get the one topic that could cause a severe problem for all parties if not handled correctly. 

"We both know why we are here, the end of the false promises or at best, a temporary solution that creates a bridge to an alliance in the future, Vera. I can't help you, not until Melissa is dealt with, the problem with your internal affairs of the order is yours alone. The wolves will not help unless that demand is met."

Vera knew that and so she placed a soft smile on her lips as she had another plan but she had to bring him to see the solution, though it was something a little more than a simple handing over of Melissa.

"I have thought up a temporary solution, as a liaison to the wolves, you work beside me. You'll know the ongoing and outgoing problems of the order, at least, it's Belgrave Chapter. It allows the council and it's Adepti overseer that I can handle the wolves without a fuss."

Raising a brow, he forgot where this actually helped the wolves. It seemed like a bunch of crap that secured her ass more than anything, his eyes narrowed at her, telling her to get to the part where the wolves benefited as well.

"And where do the wolves benefit from this Vera? Unless you're trying to insinuate that being beside you all day is enough for me to agree to this little...one-sided offer. I have to say, you really shouldn't use that, as I said, I have the interest of the wolves in my mind."

She rolled her eyes, knowing that she needed to explain this all. It would give the wolves access to things that often weren't discussed, she decided to give him something that would come with the job obviously. 

"You will be given access to Melissa Ramirez when her sentence is carried out, the wolves may deal the killing blow. And the wolves are allowed to hunt down bad magic as they sense it, which, of course, was already a perk of being what they are."

He hummed, that was all the wolves wanted and maybe it could work...it was unstable but the blocks to something better was there and maybe the order could consider the knights as partners somewhere down the line. 

"I will accept if you can tell me the truth of why you want me as a liaison...I doubt that it's due to this alliance, if anything, you may have just left the wolves to rot and carried out Melissa's sentence and done it yourself. I can feel your emotions, you're scared, tell me, Vera."

He placed his hand over her's and for a moment, he thought she would have kept it there, that her mind wouldn't allow her to take this back but this was not a fairytale and she removed it reluctantly. He felt the waves of sadness and disappointment at herself, he raised his eyebrow towards her but did not voice it aloud. 

"I need your help, obviously. It's why I called for this meeting, the gnostic council is trying to remove me from my leadership of the Belgrave chapter. If I have you by my side, it would prove that I have Belgrave under control, with an iron grip."

So he was being used? He didn't know why he expected more, maybe he shouldn't and seeing the steel in her eyes, he doubted that she would even understand him but he rolled his eyes and chuckled at himself. 

Why did he believe that what they had shared would have meant something, the moment where she froze in that hall of blood and carnage, what he had seen...what she had seen, he gave her a small moment of comfort but now he felt like it had just meant nothing. Like she would continue to hide behind that wall of hers, it was unbelievable but so was he, cause maybe he wanted that. Maybe he would take whatever he could to explore the powerful emotions he felt with her in that hall. 

"Is that all Vera? Nothing else? Cause I can feel your emotions, I can see it in my mind, playing over and over, you saw me, and yet you act like nothing ever happened. You act as if you did not feel what I felt in that moment but I know you did, you just don't want to admit, why? Just tell me, why?"

Vera met his eyes and for a moment, there was that connection again, almost like a wave of his own emotions hit her. And she was sure he felt hope, he felt anger, and he was sad, so very sad. She shook her head, clearing her throat as the emotions disappeared with it, though she would lie to herself about it, she wanted more of that. 

"It's the world we live in, Seer. Nothing ever lasts forever, a connection fades and I hope you come to see that. That moment was just, a simple moment, one where the rush of battle got to us and we allowed ourselves a small comfort that played itself up in our minds..."

She stated it so quietly but the impact it had on him was oh so devastating as a bitter chuckle left him, he stood to his feet nodding his head as he realized what this was. She wished for him by his side, she wished for him to forget about her...and yet she never realized, it was too late for that. 

"I'm telling you, Magus. There was nothing about that moment in which it was JUST a simple moment. Don't ever play down my abilities like that, I will be the liaison if, for anything, it will bring peace. And, even though you are under threat and have just insulted me, I will help you to the best of my ability...you have my word, have a nice night..."

And with that, the seer and magus parted, leaving behind a new rocky alliance between the wolves and the order that was much more stable but it left their growing connection to keep suffering at the want of their desires, for their people and their power, they were willing to go to great lengths...

Yet could the same be said about their connection to one another? Only time will tell.

-

A/N: They just can't catch a break, I think we see this a lot in Vera and I think a lot has to do with her personal issues in the past, her not deserving anyone else to rely on, to have another person by her side through it all. 

And so, this is where we will actually build up their relationship, where slowly they come to realize that yes, they will need one another, now more than ever in the coming chapters. 

Next chapter, we focus on the wolves and a connection that Lilith forms! A lot of things are going to pick up for a while before we see the big plans I have...I'll see you all in the one! 

Vote, Follow, AND comment your hearts out!