16

TUESDAY 8TH, DAN

“Who are you?”

“Dan Haywood.”

“I know that but, I mean, I haven’t seen you around before. And, in this small town from England called Peterbound, there’s a population of about 15000 people – you get to know everybody in about 2 years. There are a couple of big shops, and one school. I’m sure I would’ve noticed your face before. Where did you come from?”

“Well, all my life I’ve lived in a big city. Up until a few months ago, my parents decided living in such a large, crazy place like Burmpool was too much stress. People in that area were not trustworthy. Travelling to work and school was always tough. I don’t know really. My mum told me the hospitals are a lot more efficient here but I don’t really see how that has anything to do with things.”

“So, you went from Burmpool city to here – in tiny little Peterbound?”

“Yep. It was a big change. But change is inevitable – it happens to everybody all the time. Sometimes change is bad, sometimes change is good. I haven’t worked out whether moving here was a good decision or not yet. But there’s no exactly any going back – Burmpool is about 6 hours away from here. So, sorry if you don’t like me but you’ll just have to get to deal with me.”

“I know, a met a couple of people that were hard work that I had to put up with here. For the record, you’re not too bad.” She winked at me. “But seriously, who starts school halfway through the year?!”

She was good.

“And who sells tickets to a school dance every year but has never actually attended?”

But I was better.

“Oh shut up! I’m socially awkward, okay? I’ve not had a very good past experience with boys either so I’m a little self-conscious when it comes to people.”

“What happened?”

“When?”

“Your ‘past experience’?”

She froze. “Oh, no I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Come on, we’re buddies now, aren’t we?”

“Don’t say ‘buddies’!” she laughed.

“Please tell me.” I begged.

“Fine. But know that I don’t feel comfortable talking about it. A few years ago, I fell in love with this boy. I thought he was perfect. I admit, my parents didn’t approve of him because he was a year older, had no plans for the future, dropped out of school, smoked and whatever-”

“Doesn’t really seem your kind of guy.”

She rolled her eyes. “Back to the story, his dad was just as bad. There was a physical accident between us.” Things got serious then. I was concerned.

“What do you mean by a ‘physical accident’?”