the return

One year later

                                                                                    One year later

"You really should come; I really want you to come." The man in front of me said as my feet padded against the floor, a sigh escaping my lips. When Baekhyun said he was going to come over, I thought it was because he genuinely wanted to hang out with me. He then proceeded to bombard me with requests about a party he wanted me to go to because he had a head who was also "single".

"Oppa, I'm not a social commodity. I'm tired after work and if you think I will go there when I can chill on my bed then... Goddamnit, boy! Don't give me those puppy eyes." I scowled at him, adjusting the towel around my body. I thought that if I refused enough and took a long shower, he'd drop it, but I could also tell that he was not going to let it pass.

"Really... It's been a year since you've dated someone." Baek began and I let out a deep breath, going to the closet to find some comfy clothes. He turned away almost instantly but kept on talking. "You go to work and back like a routine-"

"Because it is a routine." I mumbled under my breath, throwing on an oversized T shirt and shorts. "I'm done."

Baekhyun turned back and adjusted the sleeves of his shirt. "Look, I just really want you to know that it would be fun. Jieun will be there, people you know will be there. It's a reunion of people we used to hang out with!"

"Wow. All the more not to go." I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"And besides, Yixing is a great guy. He just came back from some charity work in China. He's got a heart of gold, that one. Sometimes I look at him and I think to myself, how can someone be so good?"

"Sounds like you're the one who wants to hook up with him." I chuckled, settling down onto the couch before starting to browse through Netflix on the big screen. "You sure you don't want to tap that booty?"

Baekhyun let out a sound of exasperation before glancing on his watch. "It's already 10! I was supposed to be there by 9:30 and here I am with you- "

"Then go! No one's stopping you." My fingers scrolled down news articles as I pressed the save button before making a mental reminder too read them later. The room was silent for a while and even then, I found it weirdly suffocating. I paused, diverting my eyes away from my phone screen to Baekhyun just to see him staring at me like he could shoot lasers from his eyes.

"You do know that does not work?"

"Ugh. Fine. I'll be the one who'll find you clients for the next three weeks. It's just that I really did promise Yixing and I would hate to break that promise."

"Well, next time don't promise him something you can't do." I shot back simply. "You know what, fine. But you better make sure the clients you find for me are potential investors too. I want a report of people, their businesses, their income- a list of people I can actually work with, not people you just found on the street."

"Yes, yes." Baekhyun said, jumping straight up to run to put his shoes on. "Just wear anything, it's a casual house party."

"Fine." I sat up and watched as he walked out of my bedroom to the living room.

"I'm giving you ten minutes! Be waiting for you in front."

And off he went as I scrambled to my feet to change.

                                                                                     At the party

The moment I stepped into the house, the blazing lights and blasting music made me miss my bed. I was greeted by familiar people, trying to remember the last time I've seen them. I stood beside Baekhyun before he excused himself to find Yixing as Jieun and Dahye, both a friend of ours, came up to strike up a conversation.

"Every time we have a party, we put a bet on you whether you'll come or not." Dahye squealed as she engulfed me into her arms. "I'm glad to see you, you look just the same."

I frowned, not knowing whether it was a compliment or a factual insult. "You lost weight." I said stonily, trying to smile as I wrung my hands tightly hoping that Baekhyun would come back.

"I did! I did... I'm glad you noticed. I know we already talked about your break up with Kai the last time I saw you but have you heard- "

"Hey! Sorry ladies, but you can catch up later. I've got to play cupid." Baekhyun's sound traveled to my ears and I perked up to see a stranger tailing behind him. Jieun and Dahye saw his wink and excused themselves before telling me they'll come to see me again later.

The drink was passed to me and Baekhyun moved to the side, the stranger right in front of me as he smiled. He was holding a drink and I took a sip, giving him a smile right back. He seemed genuine just as Baekhyun said.

"You're the famous Yixing." I begun and Yixing nodded, shrugging.

"That, I am."

"Alright- I'm out of here. You two have fun." Baekhyun said, squeezing himself between both of us before jolting. Yixing and I looked at it each other before laughing.

Before I knew it, we were in a deep conversation as we settled at the side of the kitchen while the rest partied.

For most of the night I found myself laughing with Yixing. He was getting closer but I kept a good distance, a smile on my face as we discussed politics. I had stopped drinking because of the buzz and because Baekhyun would pass by up and shoot me winks. I didn't want to get drunk at all. It was then I suddenly heard a cheer with people clapping. I looked over at the sound and my heart stopped a beat as I saw who just arrived as he emerged from the crowd. People were welcoming him back and for one split second, the moment he looked over our eyes connected.

It was Kai.

________________________________________________________________________________