the ex-boyfriend

"You okay?" Yixing's voice reached my ears and I gasped a bit, almost forgetting to breath. My eyes were dry but there was a dull ache in my chest I was trying to make sense of. My brain fumbled with Kai's face and I frowned, reaching up to press a hand against my forehead.

"I'm fine." The thing is, I had forgotten what heartbreak felt like. It's been awhile as I compartmentalize. "Really? You look like you've seen a ghost." Yixing was obviously worried. Beyond that, the guy was skeptical- I could tell. I smiled at him and sighed before shaking my head, hoping he'd get the sign that I didn't want totalk about it.

He did.

I stood there, not knowing what to say. My eyes blank, almost getting overwhelmed by my surroundings when I felt Yixing lean forward, his arms going around me just to pull me closer. My eyes widened at his actions but I didn't move, instead was engulfed by his cologne.Yixing tucked my head against his neck, I felt his arms press against my shoulders as I gave in and leaned my forehead against his shoulders, feeling him rock me back and forth.

"You just seemed like you needed a hug." He whispered into my ear and I nodded silently in his embrace. I thought I wasn't going to cry but I did. My eyes welled up and I felt him move, his lips shifting to press against my forehead.

I don't remember how long I stood there, in the arms of a stranger.All I do remember was that my arms lifted up to hug him around the waist and I suddenly felt safe.

Kai's POV

I stood there watching her in his arms as he lovingly caressed her back and I felt a burning sensation of wanting to kill someone. I had wanted to run after her so I could apologize in person- not to bring up ghosts of the past but so she could forgive me in person.
"I'll do it, just not today." I thought as I slunk back into the shadows.

________________________________________________________________________________

Your POV

It's been four days since the party and I woke up to a text from Yixing telling me to start getting ready. He had been texting me regularly and the other day I told him I wasn't ready to be in a relationship, he answered that he didn't want one with me. He just enjoyed my presence and that answer felt like something I wanted to hear.

"What if I'm just giving you hope?" I had asked.

"Wow, A little narcissistic, aren't you?" He joked and I laughed.

"I'm serious."

"I'm just here." He replied almost immediately, his tone dropping lower. "I don't expect anything. Just know that I'm here."

"You know I don't need fixing. So if that's what you want to do-"

"I'm not trying to fix you..""

I don't want to break your heart." I answered and I could hear his smile through the phone.

"It would be an honor to have my heart broken by you."

"Awake. Getting ready for work." I texted him back and wondered if I should add an emoji before just sending it. I paused for awhile before texting him again with an additional "You?"

"On the way to work too. Dinner?"

"Busy." I replied.

"Some other day then. 😊"

"Sounds like a plan."

I had finished getting ready and drove to work, my eyes swollen from overworking. When I reached work, there were names of potential clients that I had to talk to from Baekhyun. My next architecture project was big but our firm was also looking for investors. My eyes scanned the list and before I knew it, my secretary popped her head in looking a bit peeved.

"Ma'am?" She asked, softly. I raised my head, tilting my head at her with wonder.

"Yeah."

"Uhm, a representative of a potential investor is here."

"Okay?" I paused, expecting for her to say more because of how uncomfortable she looked. 

"Send him in then."

"Ma'am..." She starting fumbling with her words. "It's the boyfriend- I mean the boyfriend you ended wit- I mean, the old boyfriend. Ma'am-"

Before she could finish her sentence, Kai's voice floated in the air with a hint of irritability.

"She meant, it's the ex boyfriend."

________________________________________________________________________________