Chapter 31 Who Did You Call

Valentine Winters P.O.V

His eyes, shifting between a stormy blue and ominous black, reflected the turbulent emotions within him. The air was thick with anticipation, and the intensity of the moment made my heart race. But just as the desire seemed poised to unravel, a sudden bell rang out, shattering the charged silence.

Lucifer's growl of frustration reverberated through the room as he stormed toward the door. The staff's timid apologies for the interruption did little to soothe his irritation. With an impatient wave, he let them handle the luggage before slamming the door behind them.

I remained rooted in place, a mix of fear and uncertainty constricting my chest. As he returned to the room, visibly agitated, he exhaled deeply and ran a hand through his disheveled hair. I stood there, feeling vulnerable and awkward, words tangled in the web of my anxiety.

"Sit down." he commanded, his voice a mix of frustration and fatigue. I complied, lowering myself onto the bed and fixing my gaze on the floor. He cupped my jaw gently, tilting my face up to meet his.

"I'm exhausted, Val." he groaned. "Change into some night clothes and sleep beside me. Can you do that?"

I managed a hesitant nod, my throat tight with unspoken fears.

In the bags, I found silk pajamas—a sleeveless top and shorts. The thought of changing into such delicate fabric felt daunting. I entered the attached washroom, trying to shake off the nerves, and emerged dressed in the silk ensemble.

Lucifer, now in just his boxers, looked up as I entered the room. He motioned for me to join him on the bed. I climbed in, positioning myself as far from him as possible, my body tense with uncertainty. The shadows in the dim light created an uneasy atmosphere, amplifying the silence between us.

As I settled into the bed, Lucifer's arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me against his chest. His warm breath against my ear made me shiver. "I want you as close to me as possible, Val. Never try to be away from me." he whispered with a growl that sent a shudder through my spine.

I swallowed hard, closing my eyes as I surrendered to the embrace. The comfort of his warmth was both reassuring and confusing. Sleep soon claimed me, though my dreams were filled with haunting images—a wolf's howl, bloodstained claws, the chaos of war, and Lucifer's intense gaze.

I woke abruptly, gasping as the nightmare's remnants faded. I turned to see Lucifer's peaceful sleeping face, and a sense of relief washed over me. Just a nightmare, I repeated to myself, trying to shake off the lingering unease.

My gaze fell on the phone on the nightstand. An urge to call my dad surged through me, a desperate need to connect and reassure him that I was safe. But the fear of what Lucifer might do if he found out held me back.

My eyes darted between Lucifer's still form and the phone. I weighed the risk and decided to take a chance, hoping Lucifer would remain asleep.

Slowly, I eased his arms away from me, careful not to disturb him. He stirred slightly but continued to snore softly. With trembling hands, I picked up the phone and dialed my father's number.

My heart raced with each beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The voicemail's robotic voice taunted me. I tried again, desperation clawing at me.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

"Hell.," my father's voice finally cut through the static, a lifeline in the dark.

"Dad?" I whispered, barely able to contain the tears.

A pause on the other end, his breath catching as he processed my voice.

"Valentine, is that you?" His concern was palpable.

"Yes." I sobbed, relief and fear mingling in my voice.

"Where are you? Has he hurt you? I'll come get you right now. Where are you?" His rapid questions were filled with genuine worry.

"I'm... I'm in a hotel," I stammered, glancing anxiously at Lucifer to ensure he remained unaware.

"A hotel? What's the name?" he demanded.

I scanned the room frantically, spotting a tissue box with the hotel's name. "Auburn Legacy." I said, barely containing my anxiety.

"I'm coming." he declared firmly.

"No, don't, Dad." I pleaded, my voice barely a whisper. "Please don't come."

"That's final." he cut in, and the line went dead.

I returned the phone to the nightstand, my heart pounding. As I turned around, Lucifer's eyes were wide open, a look of displeasure etched across his face.

The tension in the room was palpable. "Who did you call?" he demanded, his voice a low growl.