Chapter 4 - Enroute Jaisalmer

INT. VINAY HOUSE-MORNING
A week later. It's the day of the trip.

VINAY is all ready and his bag is packed. He is putting on his shoes.

His parents, who are visibly agitated by his sudden travel plan are having a heated discussion with him.

VINAY'S MOTHER 

What kind of thamasha is this? Is it now that you are telling all this to us?

VINAY 

It's just 2 weeks ma! And Vasu sir is accompanying me.

VINAY'S MOTHER 

VINAY, 20 days is too much. That too Rajasthan and who knows where else. Oh God, they kill people for no reason there...

A beat as Vinay looks at her with disdain for her thought.

VINAY'S MOTHER

At least give me Vasu sir's number to call you in case of an emergency.

VINAY 

Mom, grow up! You can call my number. That's enough. My phone will be always available. Sheesh, he'll think I'm a child.

VINAY'S FATHER (locking the front door) 

You either give us the number or we won't allow you to go. It is your mistake that you didn't inform us earlier.

VINAY (angrily) 

This is the damn problem here!! No freedom. Why do you two want to be like satellites around my head?

VINAY'S MOTHER (literally in tears now) 

Just give us his number. We will not call him we promise. But in case of an emergency....

VINAY 

Both of you are over-protective. This is why I always say I want to live in a separate house.

FATHER (sternly) 

If you don't give us his number, we'll throw you out of the house upon return.

VINAY walks up to the door and nudges his father aside. He unbolts it.

VINAY (angrily at his father) 

Guess what! Thank you!

VINAY (contd.) 

I don't want to live with you two anymore. I'll just find my place on return.

Picking up his bag, he angrily storms out of the house.

His mother follows him in protest, but his father blocks her.

FATHER

Let him go. He's outgrown our need.

EXT. VINAY HOUSE-MORNING

VINAY gets into a WAITING taxi, and leaves, as his parents watch him.