Chapter 9 - The Philosopher's Catch

INT. JAISALMER FORT-EVENING

They walk past the former Queen's chambers and spot VINAY and OMKAR coming their way. VINAY looks at them and gives a playful smile.

OMKAR is walking fast, and the trio follows him. He opens the door to his house. 

INT. OMKAR HOUSE

BABA is sitting in the middle, talking to the same police officer they had seen on the way back that morning.

BABA 

Hello friends, we meet again. Come in, come in.

BABA (continuing) 

Ok Shukla, I'll see you later.

The policeman bows his head and takes his leaves, eyeing the visitors carefully on the way out.

BABA 

Come, let's sit inside.

INT. LIVING ROOM-OMKAR HAVELI

VINAY cowers in fright on seeing the snake raise its hood, as BABA pets it to calm down.

THOMAS 

What's the matter Baba?

BABA (getting up and filling a chillum with some tobacco) 

As usual, straight to the point huh? I like you, Thoma. Isn't that how your mother calls you?

THOMAS looks at him, stunned to speak.

BABA 

Don't be tensed. You'll only agitate the snake. Come, I have a unique proposition for you and your friends.

OMKAR leads them into their father's study room inside.

INT. BABA STUDY ROOM

BABA 

I allow very few peple to enter this room. It's sacred to me. But really like you guys. Gyaani seems to agree with me.

OMKAR lifts a hardbound registry book, held slightly open by a pen inside. He sits cross legged in front of his father and opens it.

BABA (to VINAY) 

Ever heard of opium, Mr. journalist?

VINAY shifts uneasily in his seat. 

VINAY 

Yes, who hasn't?

BABA 

Then it's time you knew that the best stuff comes from across the border. Now that you are in the fabled city of Jaisalmer, why don't the two of you and your dear lady friend be my guests for some more time?