Chapter 4

I walked out of the classroom at 2 PM, and Benjamin was staring at the floor, his shoes tapping the floor impatiently. I looked around the crowded hall and clasped my backpack straps nervously. I suddenly didn't want him to hug me for who knows how long in front of all of them.

"Follow me," I said to him, and he abruptly lifted his head and followed. I went to a lesser-known study area on the second floor, hidden in the corner of the long hallway. It had a couch and a small round table. Thankfully, there was no one around.

Once I stopped by the table, Benjamin rested his head on my shoulders and lifted his arms around my torso. He pulled my body closer to his, and I felt his head shift comfortably closer to my neck. I lifted my arms to his shoulders as my heart raced. I realized the hugs have become more and more difficult for me. I felt like escaping out of his grasp again and running away, but I promised I wouldn't. I just had to endure it.

"You... you really like hugs, don't you?" I asked in a quiet, tired voice.

"I haven't received many," he replied craning his head over my shoulders and hugging tighter.

I swallowed nervously and hugged him tighter, as well, stepping up to my toes.

"I understand. I haven't had many either. I only had a friend who used to give me one when I asked. Then, she wouldn't. Then, she left."

"Just ask me from now on."

"Won't you get tired, too?"

"You'll get tired first," he said in a low whisper.

"No, I won't. I promise. Just hug me whenever you need to," I said, turning my head to speak in his ears.

"Remember your words."

As the minutes passed, I had brought my heels back to the ground, but my arms remained around his neck and my head on top of his shoulder.

"Thank you... for the thing you did in the hall when I had an attack," he said in a dazed tone.

I lazily drew circles on his back with my finger and replied, "You're welcome. It must have been terrifying. I've never gotten one, and I know different people deal with it differently, but I think having a focus point helps."

"It helped. It would have lasted longer if you weren't there."

"Mm," I muttered, closing my eyes. It was beginning to be too comfortable, resting my head on his shoulder.

I then lost track of the minutes. Benjamin, still hugging me, led us to sit on the couch. I was beginning to seriously wonder if he would hug me for the rest of the day, and it seemed that was what he had in mind. 

One second, I was awake, still resting on his shoulder, and my arms numbly around him. The other second, I was awake, and I was lying on the couch with his face beside mine and one arm under my neck. My eyes widened in shock in the darkness, and I hit the floor with a loud thud. I cursed as I stumbled to my feet, and Benjamin stirred. He abruptly sat up, rubbing his eyes. His hair messily leaned to one side, and his eyes were half-open. His expression was blank as he stared at me. After a few seconds of utter silence, he almost whined, "You broke your promise."

I was left speechless.

"No, no I didn't," I defended. "We fell asleep. Then, you stopped hugging me in your sleep. So, you were the one who stopped first."

"Oh," he mumbled in disappointment at himself.

"This is bad," I stated, picking up my backpack. "I have so much homework to catch up on, but I spent the whole day with you here! We have to leave now, Benjamin. They're locking up this building soon."

"Sorry," he said, his eyes were wide and glistening in the darkness.

I sighed, "It's-It's fine. Let's just head back."

"Go back where?" he asked, tilting his head slightly.

"What do you mean where? Head home, wherever home is to you."

"Oh, my home," he mumbled as his shoulders noticeably slumped.

I looked at him incredulously, and he put up his hands innocently, "Are you—nevermind. Goodnight." I ran out of the building and was momentarily shocked at the coldness of the night. A shameless part of me wanted to climb back up and lie on the warm couch. The trees swayed gently; fall has definitely arrived.