Chapter 14

Benjamin's hugs changed. He was holding back less because he now left kisses on my neck and shoulder whenever he could. My heart beat madly every time I felt his lips on my skin. I was certain I'd never get used to it; I thought I'd faint the first few times as my blood rushed to wherever he grazed, and I, on the other hand, was still struggling to hold back from outright biting him. It was especially difficult when he kept provoking me by lifting his head up, fully exposing his neck.

"I won't do it. I'm a good, pure, innocent soul," I said to him when we hugged in the small study area on the second floor. I wished he would let me retain my innocence a bit more.

"It's not fair that it's only me who is..." Benjamin trailed off, tilting his head to the side once again.

I gulped. He had been wearing me down, and I felt myself surrendering. I slowly shifted closer to his neck and planted a small kiss. Benjamin slightly flinched away. I paused. "No way," I whispered. I remembered how he had tried to move away before when I got close to his neck in the swing dance clubroom, as well.

"Wait," Benjamin began, his tone laced with regret. I moved closer and let the tip of my tongue make contact. Benjamin squirmed in my grasp as I trailed down. I excitedly gasped at this discovery.

"Wa-Wait," he stammered.

I stopped and moved to face him, "After so many provocations... you never realized your neck was sensitive? Do you know of all the things I want to do right now?"

"I didn't mean it," he said. "Let's just talk this ou—" he groaned at my small bite. The sound echoed in me, jolting me into bliss. I looked at him in utter shock. He looked back at me blankly. I grinned as my body began trembling in excitement. Benjamin abruptly ducked out of my arms and ran away. I grabbed our bags off the table and chased after him, convulsing with laughter.

"You are so done for!" I shouted at his fleeing back.

***

The day before the swing dance event, I was jumping and shuffling to "Suzy" by Caravan Palace in the clubroom. I'd learned many of the moves, and I was surprised at how easily they came to me. Benjamin shortly after entered and stood watching me. "Booty Swing" by Parov Stelar began, and I danced towards him, reaching my hand out for him to take. He threw his backpack on the floor and spun me towards him. We continued dancing energetically. Three students walked in and stood by to watch us until the song finished. I didn't know how tired I was until after it ended and I let go of Benjamin's hand.

One of the students, a boy with auburn curls walked towards me and said, "You are really good. What's your name?"

I tiredly answered, "Mae."

"Mae, nice to meet you," he said, holding out his hand for me to shake. "I'm Nathan."

I lifted my hand and suddenly felt a weight on my back. Benjamin slung his arms around my neck and rested his head on my shoulder. He didn't glance once at Nathan. I felt awkward shaking the boy's hand while Benjamin nestled his head closer to my neck in front of him. Nathan, himself, didn't seem how to know the proper way to act in such a situation. I smiled and pointed to Benjamin's head, "This is Benjamin." Benjamin, upon hearing his name being mentioned, finally rose his head and looked at him.

He silently moved away from me and shook Nathan's hand, as well.

"Are you a sophomore?" Nathan asked me. "I feel like I've seen you somewhere."

"Yes, I'm a sophomore. So is Benjamin," I mentioned randomly. I didn't know why I kept trying to drag him back into the conversation. Benjamin had returned to his position on my back and didn't seem to care for anything going on.

"I'm a junior. I think we had a class together last semester. Did you know Dr. Hames?"

Benjamin had moved to stand completely behind me. I was conscious of his movements while answering Nathan.

"Actually, I think we took ethics together," I remembered. "You sat in the front and were—" I abruptly stopped speaking as my eyes widened. I had felt Benjamin's lips on my nape. He had positioned himself in a way that was clearly visible to Nathan. I glanced at Nathan and was certain he had seen him. His whole face turned slightly red. I suddenly realized Benjamin might be jealous. There was no other possible explanation.

"I-I have a class starting soon. We should get going. Nice meeting you, Nathan," I forced a smile and turned to grab Benjamin's wrist. Nathan slowly nodded. I hurriedly walked to a small empty classroom and stated, "Your jealous side is worse than mine... Why are we both so insecure?"

"I wasn't jealous," Benjamin replied.

I stopped and turned to him. "Then, what was that? You've never done that before."

He slid his arms around my waist and hugged me. "Who even remembers a random classmate from a previous semester?" he asked. I almost scoffed. How was this not jealousy?

"Well, he talked a lot in class," I answered simply.

"He definitely looked at you strangely, and he was asking so many questions. What's it to him what your name is?" He defended himself.

I laughed, "This is what people call jealousy, Ben."

"I wasn't jealous," he repeated, almost pouting.

"It's quite funny," I said. "My jealousy is talking badly to them. Your jealousy is showing them I'm yours—" I fell silent. I felt like I said something extremely embarrassing, but it was too late. Benjamin gazed at me, his eyes glistening strangely. I retreated a step because I didn't know what he'd do and tried to save the situation, "An-Anyway, I think we definitely need to learn to-to trust each other and—"

Benjamin pulled me closer with his arm and lifted my chin with his other one. I jolted at his sudden action. He kissed my jaw and I inhaled sharply. He then moved down to my neck and kissed, brought my hand up to his lips, and kissed it as well. I was trembling at his incessant attacks. "B-Ben," I stammered. Benjamin moved up my arm, planting his lips on all of it. Slowly, he moved back to my neck and surprisingly grazed his teeth at my skin before hugging me deeply.

"You're right. I was jealous," he muttered. "I wanted to hug you and kiss you all over right in front of him."

I was sweating and had fallen in a daze. I never realized jealousy can turn shy Benjamin into this; it was such a scary thing. I lifted my arms up around his neck, patting his head, and said, "It's okay to be a little jealous, but I'm glad you didn't follow through. I would have died from embarrassment. Think of how I'd feel." Benjamin nodded in my embrace, and I glanced at his Adam's apple.

I had held back on doing anything to his neck after I found out it was quite sensitive because I did feel slightly bad for him. His statement that I could do whatever I wanted, once firm, had stuttered from his lips when he approached and hugged me again after. I had decided not to overdo it. I knew of his weakness, and that was enough. Being in this situation, however, I shifted closer and planted a small kiss. I felt Benjamin stiffen, and he enveloped me in his arms tighter.

"Jealous you is so scary," I muttered, lightly biting and kissing his skin. I was extremely satisfied by his jolts and suppressed groans. Even when he jerked his head away involuntarily, he slowly shifted back. "I like it."