Chapter 9

Chapter 9 (Skye POV)

“Finally” I whispered as the clock struck 12 in Saturday.

“What? No Goodbye?” Blaze questioned, grabbing his skateboard out of the corner. He’d been skating around the room for about an hour and a half today. As much as I wanted to yell at him, it actually was pretty cool to watch, and his board was awesome. It reminded me of fire, with the red grip tape and yellow wheels. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Maybe next week Doll” Blaze winked at me and I bolted out the door without acknowledging him. As I exited Honorarie High, I saw a boy with shaggy brown hair looking around with his hands in his jean pockets. ‘Wesley’ I thought and picked up my pace. 

“Hey Wesley, what’s up?” I smiled at him.

“Hey Skye” he shifted from foot to foot, seemingly nervous.

“You know you didn’t have to come get me” I said, “I’m not scared of taxi cabs anymore.” He cracked a smile, remembering my childhood fear of taxis.

“I know I didn’t have to come, but I wanted to ask you something” he ran his fingers through his hair. Yup, he was definitely nervous.

“You don’t have to ask officially to move in, just unpack. But if you're living with me you're paying your own food bill, which is freaking crazy” I joked, trying to ease to strange mood between us.

“No, it’s nothing about moving in but, um, Skye… uh…” he stammered, seemingly unable to push the words past his stubborn tongue.

“Spit it out!” I teased.

“Willyoubemygirlfriend?” Wesley blurted.

“Huh?” I asked, having no idea what came out of his mouth.

He took a deep breath before saying, “Skye Hazard, will you be my girlfriend?”

Oh shit. Since when did Wesley have feelings for me? Me of all people! There has to be 8 billion people on this Earth, and Wesley has to have feelings for me! I mean, he’s attractive and all, but I don’t like him like that, at all, do I? The guy is my best friend, and I can't turn down my best friend because I’d lose him. I looked up and saw his brown eyes sparkling with hope. Nope, I definitely couldn’t refuse him, and I most definitely couldn’t lose him.

“Wesley Mede, I, with much consideration,” I drew it out to annoy him, “Accept your proposition.” Wesley gave me a what-the-hell-are-talking-about look.

“It means yes loser” I smirked. Unbridled joy spread across his face as he swept me into his arms. Wesley spun me around, and then lightly kissed my forehead.

“Come on, I’ve got a reservation for Infarrio’s” he ushered me into a cab. ‘Your favorite restaurant, how thoughtful’ I thought starkly.

“What were you going to do if I said no?” I asked as he took my hand.

“Hm, maybe pick up a random chick, take her, whine about my problems to her” Wesley laughed.

“But I’m glad you said yes” he leaned down and whispered in my ear. I smiled, but didn’t say anything back. I wasn’t sure whether or not I was as thrilled as he was.  Dinner was, incredibly, normal. We laughed, joked about, picked on each other, everything we would’ve done as friends, except he paid, and held my hand as we walked out and flagged a cab.

“Thanks Wesley” I said once we were standing in front of my flat.

“No prob… ah shit, I’ve gotta head home, like hell-hole home,” he sighed.