35

"You're eating!" Patton beamed as he watched Roman nibble away at the bowl of cat food without even a look his way. "I'm glad, Roman. I guess that talk with Anxiety really helped? Maybe?" Patton paused for a bit watching as Roman seemed to ignore him. "Hey, Kiddo? Ro?" Roman growled a bit as Nyxie moved closer and Patton frowned seeing how fast he was actually eating. "Roman, slow down there. I'm glad you're finally eating but... Don't make yourself..." Nyxie meowed only making Roman hiss and move the bowl away suddenly. "ROMAN!" 

"FUCK!" Roman panic shifted, hitting his head before falling back as a cat and whimpering. He rubbed his head a bit as he whined and looked up at Patton who had a bit of a panic himself. 

"Ro? You... ok there, kiddo?" Roman blinked a bit in confusion as he looked around spotting the bowl. He mewled softly nudging it over to Nyxie who purred and started to eat up whatever was left of it. "Roman?" Roman looked up making Patton sigh in relief. "You had me scared there, Kiddo."

"Are you feeling ok?" Roman nodded as he laid down and closed his eyes. "Roman? Be honest... Are you feeling ok?" Roman shook his head as he whimpered quietly making Patton frown. "Are you still tired?"

'Very.' Roman yawned to prove his point as he curled up a bit. 'But also... just... dazed. My head hurts now thanks to that sudden scare. What was I even doing? I don't... I don't remember. I... Patton?' Roman's eyes narrowed as he looked up to see Patton gently petting Nyxie, pulling the bowl away now that it was empty. 'I don't even remember you getting here. Did you just come or... did I blank out again?'

"Well, at least I know you ate something, kiddo." Roman faltered a bit as Patton smiled happily. "I don't like that you hadn't been."

'When did I eat?' Roman meowed anxiously, his confusion getting the better of him as Nyxie rubbed up against him. 'I'm... lost. Patton, when did I...' Nyxie purred as he laid down beside him and Roman sighed with a smile. 'It doesn't matter. As long as you got what you needed, little one. That's all that matters.'  Patton beamed as he hopped up to let the catto's sleep some. Roman's been so drained for so long it was getting a bit worry some. He needs his rest that's for sure.

"Ok, kiddo. I'll let you be. You just get your strength up." Virgil frowned as he leaned against the door with a sad sigh, listening to how Patton walked off. This was pathetic. It really was. He wanted Roman. He wanted him so badly. But every time he thought about just giving in and letting Roman back in for good his panic would spark in him and stop him in his tracks. He wasn't getting any better. He wasn't getting any better because he was too focused on Roman. 

He wanted to open that door pick up roman and just... cry. He wanted to cry... Crying was what he wanted.

"Shit." Virgil groaned as he felt the tears falling before he could even stop them. "Damn it all!" His hands shook as he wiped his tears away and laughed at himself. He didn't even understand what he was hurt so much about. No... No, it wasn't about the pain. Virgil wasn't hurt. Well, he was but... That wasn't what was stopping him from forgiving that loving prince. No...

It was his fear.

He was scared. He was scared of all the different reasons something could have happened. Roman told him that he loved him and never wanted to hurt him. He was desperately trying to latch on to that but it was hard. His fear just kept rearing its ugly head saying he was lying. Saying he didn't care... saying he just wanted to use Virgil... saying... Saying such bad things that Virgil didn't want to believe. He wanted to cuddle up with his love and just be happy again. Roman made him happy but... Right now he was just too scared to be happy.

"I can't get past this with you right there, Roman." Virgil muttered more to himself that anything but considering the soft meow he heard on the other side he figured the prince had heard him. "I have to focus on me and... You being right there just outside my door... it's not helping me at all."

'Anxiety?' Roman frowned as he pressed his paw against the wooden door scratching it slightly until he heard a sigh. 'Anxie? Anxie, what's wrong?'

"God, you're so... fuck." Virgil let out a very shaky breath as he hugged himself. It was taking everything in him to keep from letting him in, the very possibility sparking panic in his blood. "I'm sorry. I can't do this. I can't do what I need to do with you right there, Roman. I'm sorry." There was a louder much more worried meow and Virgil tensed.

"A-Anx?" That... That hurt. Virgil literally heard as Roman leaned against the door with a huff. "Anxiety, talk to me. P-Please? W-wha... What's wrong?"

"You don't plan on leaving, do you?" Roman frowned as he hugged his knees in. "You're just going to stay at the door until I give in... aren't you?"

"I can't move." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman's voice came out as a bit of a pained hiss. "I know... You need to be alone. I'm sorry. I just can't... can't move. I can't leave you."

"That damned separation anxiety, huh?" Virgil teased only making Roman's eyes darkened.

"It's more than that and you know it." Virgil faltered as glanced at the door handle and groaned.

"I'm sorry, Roman. I just can't do this." Virgil shook his head as he swallowed his fear and stuck with his decision. "I'm leaving."

"WHAT- AH!" Roman gasped as his hand gripped his chest, his breathing dying out as his body forced a shift. He was so done with this shit. Virgil just smiled sadly as he stared off at nothing. 

"I'm leaving Roman." Virgil paused hearing the scratching at the door making his eyes roll a bit. "I have to. The sooner I get through this the sooner I can finally feel safe with letting you back in. The only way to do that is to focus on myself. The only way to do THAT is to be without you. You won't leave... I won't force to. So... I have to leave." Virgil deflated a bit at the realization of it all. "I have to leave just so that I can come back to you. Please, understand. I'm sorry." Virgil teleported out making the room glitch a bit. The door unlatched in the glitch letting Roman push it open only to find him already gone. 

Roman frowned as he jumped up onto the bed and curled up.

'Goodbye, Anxie.'