38

The second Virgil entered his room, Nyxie ran straight for the castle. Roman simply purred in his arms not quite aware of what was going on but loving the attention anyway. Virgil sat down on his bed, placing Roman on his lap, who curled up and just meowed softly.

"I fucked up." Virgil half expect from to hiss protectively at him, or to shift back to fight him on it or... to fight him in general. He never did. He just laid there. He didn't move at all. "Roman, I'm so sorry. I...I just wanted some time to think everything through."

"I needed to understand what I was feeling and I couldn't do that with you right there. I thought... I thought my feelings for you were getting in the way of my healing. And because of that, my anxiety made me doubt every thought I had about letting you back in. Now..." Virgil laughed at himself as he trailed his fingers through Roman's fur. "Now you've gone and... Roman this is SO selfish. This is the most selfish thing I could EVER do but... I need you to wake up."

"Wake up for me? Please?" Virgil's eyes held such desperation as Roman slowly lifted his head and meowed. Those ash blue eyes bore into the other making his choke out a sob. "Please? Roman. If you can hear me... Please wake up?" Yet... nothing. Virgil sighed as he sniffled a bit before laughing.

"I'd say if you truly cared but... that would be so cruel. I know you care. I know you care more than anything. I'd never try to put that to some sort of test you... You cared so much that it hurt you... so you gave up. You went to sleep because you were tired of waiting for me." Roman's head tilted a bit seeing the tears falling from Virgil's eyes. "It's not... I know you weren't tired of waiting for me as in... you gave up on us. I know you too well for that Princey. I know you'd never stop waiting. You just... You got tired of the pain. You got tired of giving up so much that it hurt. I gave you no indication that anything would really change. Words are... just words after all."

"After all, I told you I needed to be alone but... that was a fucking lie!" Virgil yelled out making Roman hiss angrily at the sudden sound. Virgil only broke more over that. "It was a lie. I only THOUGHT I wanted to be alone. I THOUGHT I had to be so I could think but... Roman, I wanted you to hold me. I wanted you to hold me as I cried in your arms because you make me feel safe and happy and... I fucked up." Roman jumped up off of Virgil, who panicked and went to grab him again only to stop himself. Roman stretched as he jumped off the bed and just laid off in some random corner no doubt just done with everything. "I really fucked up."

"You don't even recognize me... do you?" Virgil whispered as he held his hand out. "My King?" Roman's eyes darted over but didn't move, not even his head, as he just laid there completely ignoring him. "King? Roman? Please?" Nothing. Virgil let out a groan as he coughed trying really hard not to break down. It wasn't working. "My fault. This is all my fault. If I had just LISTENED to what I wanted instead of... I..."

"I broke him." Virgil laughed pathetically as he pushed himself up and walked over to Roman, tears streaming endlessly. "This is all my fault and I am so sorry Roman. I just... I was scared that it was all some sort of a trick. I know you care about me but... my head wouldn't let me believe that you actually love me. Not like... Not like I do you."

"I broke the man I love." Virgil scoffed as he shook his head and just stared at the door. "I broke the man I love and forced him to give up because I couldn't just let it go. And now on top of all that, Thomas is going to suffer because his creativity is... Fuck! I really fucked up. Damn it." Roman jumped up hissing again at the man as he ran over to the door obviously wanting to leave. Virgil broke down, his eyes glassed over, as he took in the fact that Roman was now begging to leave... to leave him. "It really isn't you anymore."

"Ok, then." Virgil wiped his tears as he walked over listening to how Roman meowed begging for the door to open. Nyxie mewled in confusion hoping down to follow her father out the door thinking that things were going to get better. It wasn't. 

It really really wasn't.

"There you go." Virgil opened the door and just watched as Roman bolted it out. Nyxie raced after only to stop and look back just in time to see the door close and lock. She meowed frantically as she scratched at the door only... 

The door vanished, leaving nothing but a lonely wall in its wake. Nyxie in a panic took off to find someone, wanting Roman but far too concerned to really care much. Only as she bounded in the room all she found was Roman lazed about on the couch as if nothing in the world was wrong. 

As if the man he loved hadn't just disappeared. 

She meowed angrily making Roman's head jerk up with a hiss. The two went back and forth having a conversation that clearly neither enjoyed much. She growled making Roman's eyes narrowed at her attempted at anticipation. Suddenly Roman was up and had her pinned, his mouth securely around her neck making her whimper. Roman growled out a hiss as she whined letting him know he had won before he literally cared her off. He placed her in a room... his not that he was aware of that at the moment... and ran off before she could try to follow him again. She never did. She just laid there wondering when things were going to go back to normal.

Wondering when her fathers would get back together and be happy. She missed their cuddles.