Chapter 01 - Status Check

Carla

Today I've been pacing back and forth in my office. Not because I'm nervous but because I just got an invitation to Lu and Guzman's wedding. 2 years ago they got back together and now they're finally getting married. Yeah sure Guzman thought he fell for Nadia. They even tried long distance relationship, but it didn't work. Right after his college graduation, Guzman was appointed as the president of their company. I guess it's pretty obvious as to what happened after that. Yeah you probably guessed it right, Guzman got so busy that he didn't prioritize Nadia. Malik on the other hand finally cleared up that he really is into girls and he pursed Nadia a year after they broke up.

I was waiting for a call from Lu because I know that she'll ask if I received the invitation. I guess my phone will ring in 3,2,1. I snap my finger and my phone did ring with Lu's caller ID.

Carla: I received it.

Lu: I know. There's a notification the shows me who read my email.

Carla: Kind of creepy don't you think?

Lu: Whatever, I need the RSVP. But that's not why I called.

Carla: What is?

Lu: I just wanted to give you the heads up. Since you're my maid of honor. Samuel is your partner. He's Guzman's Best Man.

Carla: So why are you telling me?

Lu: Carla, I know that even though you two already broke up, I know that deep down, you still love him. And I know he feels the same.

Carla: No. Lu, we're done and that's just it.

Lu: You know you never really told me the story of how you two broke up.

Carla: I'll tell you when we meet for coffee. But for now I have a meeting.

I hung up on Lu and literally on cue, she sent me a message of where we would meet for coffee tomorrow. I grabbed my laptop and went to the meeting with my natural expression. After the meeting I went back to my office. I sat at my chair completely leaning so I could close my eyes for a few minutes.

Lu's wedding is in two months. Which means I still have a month or so before I see Samuel again. Ever since we broke up I've tried to date. But somehow I always end up comparing them to him. So either I don't go on the first date or I just turned them down when they ask for a second date. When I came home about 3 years ago, my agenda got written up so quickly that I didn't even got to have fun without any worries. Just a month of settling in and my parents already told me to take over the company. Of course right now it's thriving since I closed a lot of investors in the US. I also managed to branch out in California. The part of California where wines also thrive. Within just a month I managed to buy a place of my own. The old apartment Polo and I used to live in, I sold it and bought a apartment unit with 3 bedrooms. Of course one of the bedrooms is my home office, the other is for guests and of course my bedroom.

When I took over our wineries, I made it a point to spend Friday nights and the weekends with my friends as much as possible. Ander and Omar started a club together. After 8 years they're still going strong. They're not yet married, but they do live together. Nadia made their little grocery blossom and now it's a franchise. Rebeka is now a fashion designer. But she's still trying to grow her name and brand here in Madrid. But there's no way in hell that I'm wearing her clothes. Valerio is still working for me at the wineries. He's really gotten good at his job. Actually he asked me if he could be my date to Lu's wedding but I told him no, because the maid of honors' date is the best man. That's it. My date to the wedding is Samuel.

After a long day I went home to my apartment. I rarely go home to the mansion mainly because it doesn't really feel like home. I took a quick shower then lied down on my bed. I'm going to see Samuel in a few weeks. Am I really ready to face him?