Chapter 03 - Break, Break.

Samuel

Once we arrived at the hotel, I went inside Carla's room to drop her shopping bags and I hugged her before saying good night. I almost kissed her but I couldn't. Not right now. I'm not taking revenge on her or anything. I just don't feel like I can do that right now. I went to my room and took a huge breath. I had to muster up a lot of courage and confidence to pull my act together in the café earlier. I did not set that up. But I was originally planning to sit at her table and surprise her. But my last meeting took a little longer than I thought. But I guess, it's still the perfect timing.

I changed to a simple tshirt and sweatpants before lying down on the bed. I turned my head to the bedside table and stared at that black velvet box. It's the ring that I specifically designed for Carla. 3 years ago when I planned to propose to her. I keep wondering, what if things have gone differently?

Flashback 3 years ago

We were already on our way to dinner and we got in with our reservation. I'm actually getting used with Carla's lifestyle slowly. In some ways she also adjusted to mine. In the middle of dinner I was planning to subtly bring up marriage.

Samuel: Babe, we have been together or almost 5 years now. Did the thought of marriage crossed your mind?

Carla: What made you ask that?

Samuel: Maybe the fact that most couples get married after 2 or 3 years of being together. So have you?

Carla: No. babe we're still in our early stages of our career. We should focus on that for now.

Samuel: Yeah I guess.

The rest of the night I was quiet. How am I going to propose to her when the thought of marriage still hasn't crossed her mind. If I asked now she'll say no for sure. On the other hand I thought she atleast thought of it once. But I don't think she's ready.

End of Flashback

Yep, 3 years ago I was ready to marry Carla. But things didn't really went our way which sucked. Honestly everyday I wished that things happened differently. Maybe we wouldn't break up. But she broke my heart. That's the main reason why we broke up. Now after 3 years, I'm trying to move past it. I've forgiven Carla a long time ago. But the memory of what happened to us still pops in my head from time to time. For the longest time, I've been afraid of talking to her again, now I'm slowly getting over it.

All this time, I've never once tried to get over her. After everything I know she's still the one for me which is why I've decided to try and make this work this time. It's not going to be easy, but it's worth a try. That is of course if she agrees. On the other hand, there is also a part of me that's afraid to get back together with her. But that's just one voice at the back of my mind that I'm choosing to ignore right now. I'm planning to just let whatever happen, happen in this trip. Then when we go back to Madrid, then I'll ask where we're standing.

I placed the ring back to the box and checked my phone. As of today, I'm officially on leave till after Guzman's wedding. All the emergencies that can come up with my clients will be taken care by Leo and my associate. It's kind of weird but we agreed that they can't call me unless it's an emergency. But my associate Grant is an exception. He can call me when he has questions, only if necessary.

I checked my notes on some plans that I've come up to do with Carla here. Maybe I won't follow this anyways. It's a list of just in case we don't come up with something.

I woke up around 4:30AM. I don't have a jetlag or anything but this is just my normal body clock because of New York. So I wore a cap and a sweater. Running shoes then went out for a morning jog. This has been my routine since whenever i'm in the office I don't get that much exercise. I got back after about 30 minutes and quickly showered. Then went to Carla's room. I was knocking on her door for a couple of minutes. Maybe she's still asleep. Her door opened and she was still groggy. When she saw me, Carla shut the door in my face in shock.