Chapter 10 - What happened then?

Samuel

Flashback 3 years ago

Carla and I have been together for 5 years now. Technically 6 if we're counting the year of hook ups and games and the time that she left. 2 years ago we moved here in New York because she was expanding their company here in the US, plus I got an internship here from a well-known law firm. I couldn't pass up the opportunity, after my internship they also hired me. So I didn't have to work my way from the ground up. From being an intern, they promoted me as an associate, then shortly after graduation I took the Bar Exam and passed. Now i'm a Senior Associate working on a promotion to a junior partner.

Now that we've been together officially for half a decade, the idea of marriage was already popping on my head from time to time. In two months we'll be celebrating our 5th anniversary. Don't get me wrong, we're happy being together. We have arguments but we make it a point to fix it as soon as possible. But lately Carla has been prioritizing her career more than me. I try to understand as much as I can. Sometimes I'm also like that when I'm working on a complicated case.

I came home from a party that my superior threw for me because I won our case which closed a deal to our firm that costs billions. Which adds to my billings because they are now my client. I opened the door and dimmed the lights then removed my tie and coat that I placed on the laundry basket then went to the bedroom. Carla was asleep in the dark. Her blonde hair kind of looks like it's glowing in the dark. I stand by the door and smile at the beautiful girl sleeping on a bed in front of me. I went to the bathroom and took a quick shower to remove the alcohol smell from my body. I quickly dry my hair and change into comfortable clothes before slowly lying down on our bed. Carla wasn't facing me so I hugged her like how we would when we sleep. I tried to be as careful as I can not to wake her but I woke her when I buried my face slightly to her hair. She turned and hugged me back.

Carla: Did you work late again?

Samuel: Nope, my boss threw us a celebratory party for winning our case earlier.

Carla: Why didn't you message me? I could've joined you.

Samuel: I did actually. You just didn't reply.

Carla: Sorry, I was in a meeting earlier.

Samuel: Hey, I'm free tomorrow. Want to go out or something?

Carla: Yeah sure. How about lunch and then for dinner you can pick me up?

Samuel: I was thinking going out for the day somewhere.

Carla: I have a meeting with an investor tomorrow. Sorry babe.

Samuel: No it's fine. Lunch and dinner then.

We both drifted to sleep after that. Maybe it's perfect. While I'm out I can go shopping for a perfect ring for her. When I woke up in the morning, Carla was already getting ready for work. I stretched my body so I could wake up and she noticed it and sat down beside me and kissed me quickly on the lips.

Carla: Good morning baby.

Samuel: Good morning. So we're still on for later?

Carla: Yep. I'll see you later then?

Samuel: Yeah, text or call me if anything changes.

Carla: Of course. I have to go. I love you, I'll see you later.

Samuel: I love you more.

I pulled her hand which was on my cheek when she kissed me and dragged her slowly to kiss her again before letting her leave.