Chapter 09 - Paranoia

Carla

Ever since Samuel left, we always talked through text. Sometimes we'd video call. But with the time difference, it's a bit difficult. Though we eat one meal together everyday. That is if either of us have meetings then. I eat my dinner during his lunch time. But aside from that, I bury myself from work, after office, I drive home. It's not ideal, but it's one way to avoid Christian. I've been avoiding him since the wedding. It's been almost two weeks of me avoiding him.

I seriously can't wait for Samuel to come back. I got used to him being around again that I find it hard to go back to being alone. Lu isn't here too, she's spending her honeymoon in Paris for now, and then an extended trip to LA. The one that Samuel and I gave them. I don't want to bother her because of this issue, though from time to time she messages me asking if I'm okay. But I always say I'm fine even though I'm paranoid every second.

When I got to the house it was already 8pm and ideally, Samuel would eat some snack while I eat my dinner. I ordered some take out on the way home. It's not really ideal now to cook at home since I'm alone. I'm feeling paranoid right now, like there's someone behind me ready to jump. Then my phone rang. It was Samuel video calling me.

Samuel: Hey how's your day?

Carla: You know, meetings, boring. How's yours?

Samuel: It's going well actually. I just signed my new contract for my new position there.

Carla: It's really happening then. You're going back home for good.

Samuel: Yeah. I'll be back before you know it. I'm actually on my way back to the apartment to pack up some of my stuff.

Carla: I thought you were keeping the apartment.

Samuel: I am. It's just some of my clothes and a few things from my office that I have to pack up.

Carla: You already booked a flight?

Samuel: Nope. Not yet. I'm taking my secretary and associate with me. They're from Spain too.

Carla: Really? That's nice. You don't have to train with a new secretary then.

Samuel: Yeah. But hey how is your project coming along?

Carla: Valerio and I are on schedule. I think we can launch this at the beginning of the Year.

Samuel: How about Christian? Any news there? Has he approached you?

Carla: I've been avoiding and hiding.

Samuel: Well you can't avoid him forever.

Carla: I know. I just feel like it's easier to face him, when you're beside me.

Samuel: Hey I got to go. I need to pack up so I can come back to you soon.

Carla: Okay then. Good night.

Samuel: I love you.

Carla: I love you too.

After we ended the call, I decided to go out and get a cup of coffee. I know it's not the best idea since coffee makes you nervous or so they say, but I think I just need it. So I went out to the coffee shop about two blocks from my apartment and sat where Samuel and I usually does. It's late and most of the people here are students studying with their coffee fix. I was enjoying my time alone when all of a sudden, I felt someone sit infront of me.

Carla: Next time you should ask before sitting. You're not welcome so get lost.

I didn't even bother to face him while I was on my phone.