Chapter 11 - The Aftermath

Samuel

I was stunned and left speechless, confused and kind of disgusted all at the same time. Yes I've forgiven Carla for kissing that Damien 3 years ago. But this, this is something a whole lot bigger. We had a fight then. But I didn't break up with her right there. While I was in LA I at least imagined her locking herself up in our apartment. Drinking alcohol or just plain wine till she passes out. But no! She went to a bar, got drunk and had sex with another guy. For fuck's sake, the guy was Christian. Whether she was drunk or not, the real issue is, we had a fight. She could've just stayed at home instead of going out because she needed a drink. I did too. But I was still in the right mind to refuse other girls.

I was still frozen from where I am standing. I looked at Carla who's expression is hard to read, but her eyes are swollen and tears continuously streaming down her face. Finally after a few minutes, I regain composure on my body. I placed the ring box, with the ring still inside of it on the table with the candles.

Carla: Samuel please say something.

Samuel: I don't know what to say Carla. I just – how could you –

Carla: I didn't even know that it was Christian till the other day.

Samuel: But that is not the point here Carla. You had sex with someone while I was away. After a fight. After I caught you kissing that Damien.

Carla: I was drunk. I didn't know what I was doing. Samuel please!

Samuel: No! Being that drunk in a bar is no excuse. I won't lie. I did it too. But I still refused every girl who came up to me.

Carla: I wasn't in the right mind that time. And I regretted everything.

Samuel: When I asked you to be my girlfriend, you never thought to bring this up?

Carla couldn't answer. I know that look on her face. She's thinking of an answer that would possible calm me down. But I'm taking a good guess here as to why. She probably thought it would just be irrelevant. That it wouldn't come up.

Samuel: I need time to think things through. I need space.

I offered to drive her back to the apartment. When we got in, I just grabbed my car keys and then left again. I asked Guzman to meet me in De La Casa and he says he was already there with Lu. The ring was in my pocket now. I don't know if I should keep it or throw it. A couple of minutes later, I arrived at De La Casa. I greeted Ander before heading up. Guzman and Lu were already there with an empty glass for me.

Guzman: So how did the proposal go? Where's Carla?

Lu: Wait? You proposed? Tonight?

Samuel: Yeah, I did.

I answered then grabbed the box from my pocket and slammed it on the table. Guzman took the box and opened it which revealed the ring.

Guzman: She said no?

Samuel: She said yes.

Lu: I don't get it.

Guzman: Me either. What happened?

Samuel: Carla just told me that she cheated on me 3 years ago

Lu: Isn't that when you guys broke up?

Samuel: No, the reason we broke up 3 years ago was resolved.

Guzman: Why did you two break up anways? Both of you never told us why?

Samuel: 3 years ago, I proposed to Carla on our 5th anniversary and she said no because she wanted us to focus on our careers. I tried so hard to understand her. But then a few weeks later I caught her kissing one of her employees. Then I left New York for a business trip. When I got back, I got hospitalized and I broke up with her, by the time I was discharged, she was leaving to Madrid. Her father had a heart attack.