Chapter 8: When Her Face Turns Red

The day of the presentation for the writing project finally came. Our group haven’t prepared anything. The last time Jai and I talked about it was the other day. And we had no clear plan. So decided to do it on our own and we’ll just talk about it again before the presentation. So I made a plan of my own. This must be the best time for me to do something for Jai. I prepared myself for this day.

10 minutes before the class starts, still Jai is not around. I texted her. But she didn’t reply. Parang mauudlot pa yata ang mga plano ko. Hindi naman nale-late yun. Or umaabsent, kahit pa nga masama ang pakiramdam.

The teacher came and we sat on our designated seats. I got pissed off when I saw Robi making fun on one of our classmates, who is a girl. Wala na ngang naitulong, nambubully pa ng mga inosesnteng tao.

The first group started to present their project. I can’t concentrate to what they were saying. I kept on looking at the door, hoping to see Jai come in. Pero wala pa rin siya. Ayoko magmukhang tanga when it’s already our group’s turn to present.

The first group was done. It’s the second group’s turn. Nawalan na ako ng pag-asang darating pa si Jai. I have to revise my writing project. Pero kami na ang susunod na magpepresent and I have no time to revise it.

While I was still trying to think what I am going to do, our teacher started talking.

“Ms. Agpangan, why are you so late? I won’t allow you to come inside the class.” Sabi ni Ms. Santos.

Napatalon ang puso ko nang marinig ko ang apleyido ni Jai na tinawag ni Ms. Santos. I looked towards the door, nakatayo dun si Jai, hinihingal. Siguro ay nagmamadali para makaabot sa klase.

“I’m really sorry Ma’am. My sister was rushed to the hospital earlier today and I had to go with her because our parents went on an out-of-town trip. I promise this won’t happen again.” Pagpapaliwanag ni Jai.

“Sorry but it would be unfair to others if I allow you to attend this class.”

“Ma’am, please allow Jai, even only this time. You may give me a failing grade in this project if you want in exchange of Jai’s attendance. You know Jyra May, she attends her classes even if she doesn’t feel well.” Sabi ko kay Ms. Santos.

She stared at me blankly. Ilang segundo din yun. Then she finally spoke.

“Okay, Ms. Agpangan, you may take your seat. Mr. Duñgo, if you can’t present your project perfectly, I will give you a low grade and to your group, too.” The she went back to her table.

I looked at Jai and smiled. She smiled back, I could see in her eyes that’s she’s thankful and at the same time, apologetic. Then I whispered, “Don’t worry, this will work.”

“Thanks.” Pabulong niya ring sabi.

I gave her a “thumbs up”. I felt relieved that she’s finally here. The second group was done with their presentation. I glanced over Jai as Ms. Santos was introducing our group.

We looked at each other, we didn’t know exactly what to do. She seemed unprepared so I stood up and went in front of the class. I stared at Jai, she looked shocked. Everyobody else in the class were shocked, too. This is the first time that I stood up in front of the class. Usually, I wouldn’t join in the class activities especially like this one.

I began to talk..

“Ahmm. Good morning, everyone. I can see in your faces that you’re shocked as I am standing up in front of you. But just give me this opportunity to speak and be heard by you, guys, okay? This is really important to me. Let me start now. Our teacher, Ms. Santos, instructed us to write on somebody that means a lot to us, right? Most of you might have chosen to write for your parents, sisters, brothers, relatives, and God. We all know that they are all very important to us. Who are we when they’re not on our side, right? Through them, we knew what love is. We were able to feel being loved. We learned how to love. But one day, all of us will feel another kind of love that we never felt before. Has anyone of you here felt the “love” that I’m talking about?”