10. Sleepless Talks

"A kind gesture of a person can reach a wound which can be healed only with compassion." ~ Arjun

✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉✉

"This is your chamber, Bhadra!" Dushalla showed me the room and walked outside. I placed the trunk on a table and wore my earring.

'Is it something personal?'

His words echoed in my ears. I took a deep breath to relax my mind that thought about nothing but him.

'Subhadra, what is going on in your mind? On one hand, you do have some thoughts on Prince Arjuna but on the other hand, you often hold yourself back because Charu is in love with him... what do you really wish?'

I sighed and opened the trunk, pulling out the poem I had written on him. I couldn't help but think if I was complicating my life because of the bizarre feeling I had for him.

"Bhadra!" I felt Charu embrace me from behind. 

"Charu, what happened?" I asked and pulled her before me.

"He gave me a compliment. I am beautiful! I am flying at the top of the world!" Charu exclaimed in happiness as I tried to suppress my chuckle.

"You are so childish! If you had to hear that you are beautiful, I would have complimented you, what was the need for you to go around the palace for such sweet compliments!" I joked and Charu raised her hand in response.

"The compliment would not have been the same. There's a very big difference between the praise I receive from you and him." She said.

"Who is this man, this him?" I asked and she smiled playfully.

"What don't you guess?"

"Brata Nakul?" I laughed and she narrowed her eyes, her hands settling on her hip.

"Nakul? He is the most annoying person I've ever met. It seems to me like he has no interests other than quarreling with me" Charu hissed, irritation clearly written on her face.

"Calm down, please! I am in dire need of sleep, so no further talks about Brata Nakul! Coming to the question, who was the one you spoke about?"

"Prince Arjun." I found my smile fade on hearing that name. I was definitely not jealous but I could not provide an explanation for the sudden change in my facial expression.

"Also, what did you mean by you are sleepy? I didn't get that well" Charu asked.

"The whole night would seem like a minute if you start talking about Brata Nakul and I really want to sleep, so..." I yawned, going to my bed.

"You are speaking as though I am at fault, Subhu! You took his name and now, you'll have to listen to me until I finish my sentence." Charu pulled me out of the bed.

"Make it quick!" I whined.

"He was the one who started the fight and..." I twitched my lips as her statement felt like eternity to me.

* * *

"Good morning, Bhadra! Charu!" Dushalla coed as she entered the chamber, some refreshments in her hand.

"Good night!" I greeted, rubbing my eyes.

"Night? Didn't you sleep well yesterday?" Dushalla asked, sitting beside me.

"Sleep was miles away from me. All hail to Charu for concluding her speech a few minutes before. I am so tired now." I managed to whisper and Dushalla smiled.