Chapter 3

"You guys are really like a couple. Are you sure you're just bestfriends?"

Mamoru laughed meekly at Kikuchi's comment as the pair spent their free time chatting on Mamoru's table. Their subject teacher had an emergency meeting and therefore couldn't attend.

"We've been like that ever since Kikuchi, and Keiji really is one affectionate person" Mamoru replied, striking down the relationship flag that the silverette was waving.

Kikuchi slumped on the brunette's desk, face on her folded arms, "You two are two of the most good-looking persons here in Fukurodani and you don't even feel attracted to each other, not one bit? That's insane" she grumbled.

Mamoru couldn't help but smile a bit at her friend's reply, "Keiji's probably gay for Kotaro" she joked, knowing fully how close the captain and his setter was ever since they teamed up.

The younger Bokuto nodded furiously in agreement to her statement, "I swear Nii-chan was gay first before Akaashi" she even added.

Soft yet heartfelt laughs erupted from the two as they continued dissing about the pair. But one question from Kikuchi had Mamoru staying silent.

"Akaashi likes Hinami-senpai from Class 4 right?"

It definitely took a while for the brunette to think of a reply. "Yeah. And he's hopeless when he's like that you know?"

Kikuchi wasn't sure what to believe. Her words which seemed something like a friend would say? Or her eyes that held discomfort inside? Or maybe her forced smile that seemed all the more weird?

All that she knows is that Mamoru was hiding something from her. And even if she was her close friend other than Keiji, Mamoru still wouldn't allow her to get too close.

She was still barred from her inner heart.

Classes are over in a flash and as usual, Mamoru headed towards the bathroom with Kikuchi to change into proper clothes. The pair finished quickly and proceeded to Fukurodani's gym.

"Mamoru, tell Nii-chan I'm going ahead. Captain's calling!" Kikuchi bid her farewell and separated ways with the brunette.

Knowing how important her friend's position as ace to the girl's volleyball team, Mamoru nodded in understanding, "Be careful on your way Kikuchi!"she replied.

The brunette continued walking towards the large gymnasium of the school, stopping for a bit trying to think of a reason why she's feeling so uneasy earlier.

It all started a few weeks ago, when they talked about their future partners and how they would spend time with each other.

Perhaps she was just overthinking it. It's natural to be a bit envious of someome being a relationship with your bestfriend. After all, his or her time with you will most likely be cut in half. But nevertheless, you as his friend, is in no position to stop him from doing so.

That's right. I'm just a bit sad that we're going to spend less time with each other. Mamoru slapped herself on both cheeks a few times before stopping. Determined to put all of her negative thoughts behind her, Mamoru dashed with all her might to practice.

"Konnichiwa, Yukie-san,Kaori-san"

Everyone turned heads with a smile hearing Mamoru's calm voice resound from one corner of the gym. It was weird since all of them stopped what they're doing to face the girl.

Yukie ran and hugged the girl, rubbing their cheeks together, "Konnichiwa Mamo-chan~" she cooed.

Kaori chuckled as she walked over closer to their semi-manager, "She acts like a cat sometimes, huh?"she even commented.