The Sleeping

The dining room was both lavish and cold. The chairs had plush coushins and yet, their wooden arms were tight and hard. The rug was soft and luxurious, but every step felt like I was going to trip. The candle light was warm, but they shone too dim to bring cheer to the room.

And across from me sat Lord Vansius.

For some reason, I remembered a different dinner I had had, not too long ago. I remembered when young Trevor had sat next to me and spoke to me that night when Damon had claimed me as his mate.

What a different night that was. It had been too good to be true, while tonight was the opposite. This nightmare couldn't really be happening, could it?

I looked at my plate, which was filled with all manner of decadent food. I didn't recognize any of it and couldn't figure out how to eat it.

I grit my teeth and grabbed a roasted leg that I couldn't identify, tearing into it with my teeth. The meat was covered by a shell of some kind, so I had to keep spitting out the cracked pieces.

Vansius was probably appalled at me, which made me want to make even more of a mess. I grabbed the delicate chalice of wine before me and tossed it back in one gulp, slamming it back down on the table with force.

"Hm. Good." I said as if I didn't care. I grabbed what looked like a roll and stuffed it in my mouth, surprised to find that it was filled with some kind of spicy meat. I swallowed. It tasted pretty good.

Vansius took a sip of wine, "I've never seen someone eat a firebranch bun in one bite." He said.

I laughed bitterly, already deciding which dish to devour next, "With a name like that, I'd expect it to be hot. It was just a little..."

My mouth was on fire.

I looked for something to cool my burning throat and saw a bowl of what looked like cold soup. I tipped it down into my mouth, disgusted to find that it tasted like swamp water.

It did stop the burning sensation, however, so that was good.

Vansius delicately carved a piece of bloody meat as he watched me humorously, "I take it you typically enjoy a different culinary selection?"

I grimaced, "Yeah. I eat food that's good and you eat food that's weird."

He laughed. He actually laughed. It didn't make him sound like a good, innocent person, but it did make him sound like a person and it made me very uncomfortable.

I didn't want to empathize with Vansius. I wanted my only impression of him to be a disgusting monster. He wasn't anything more to me than that.

I slid my plate away, "I'm not hungry. I'd like to go to sleep."

Vansius said something, but it was mumbled, so I couldn't hear. Out of habit, I looked up, "Hm?"

His eyes locked onto mine.

"I said: Then sleep."

So I slept.

🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺

I knew I wasn't really asleep. I was under his control, but I didn't know what was happening. My mind was caught in a swirling vortex. It was all just gray and delirious.

I remembered opening my eyes at one point and seeing Vansius, sitting on a chair, his head bowed. He was shirtless, revealing that his body looked surprisingly youthful. Then he looked back up at me and I was gone again.

I didn't wake up until I felt the stone outside the castle beneath my feet.

I blinked.

Beta was beside me, pulling me by the arm. She noticed me moving my head around and smiled, "Are you okay?"

I stumbled slightly, "Um... How long was I out?"

Beta curled her lip, "The entire month."

I felt a shock run through my body and my legs turned to jelly. Beta firmly grabbed me, picking me up. The whole month? Part of me was horrified, but the other part of me was relieved that I didn't remember anything that had happened.

I felt a shiver of cold down my spine and I shut my eyes, "I can't wait to go home." I said.

Beta nodded, "Me either. Being alone with that blonde rat was the worst. He kept trying to involve me in his horrible vampire mind games."

"Like what?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but the things he said were diabolical. He asked me things about my daily routine, as if to discover my training methods. All he wants to do is learn to defeat our pack."

"Maybe... He was just making conversation."

"Oh, I'm sure that's what he wanted me to think. Asking me about my favorite food and then bringing that food to my room? Was I like a pet to that beast?"

"That sounds like he was being nice."

"Ha. Nice." She shook her head, "Poor, naive girl. Vampires can't be nice. You know what Vansius just did to you. You can't trust a single one of them."

I snapped back into my thoughts of terror, squeezing my eyes shut. I wanted to go back home to Damon, but now I wasn't even sure if he wanted to have me.

Vansius may have been a monster, but at least he seemed to want to marry me. Damon seemed to just be doing it out of obligation. Maybe I deserved the vampire husband. Maybe that would be the best choice.

For a moment, the idea of giving up and falling into an existence where everything was like a dream and I never had to control myself felt welcome, but I snapped myself out of it.

I couldn't let myself see Vansius as a valid option. No matter what Damon thought of me, he was the best mate. Vansius couldn't even compare.

Thanks for reading! Vansius continues to creep me out. Like... Dude, I created you. Stop making me uncomfortable. Lol.

Question: Kiss, marry, kill with Vansius, Damon and Cassyan.

Bloodmoon: At this point I wish I could just choose kill for each of them for all the trouble they give me. 😒