The Alpha's Mate

I sat in my new home. It was a cabin, like the other homes in the camp, but it was the biggest and most comfortable. It had two rooms, a communal area on the bottom and a loft on on the top for sleeping. I blushed. The Alpha and I hadn't slept together yet. In fact, I hadn't slept at all since the Alpha had claimed me as his own.

My heart pounded. Why did he pick me? To make a statement? If that was it, then it was a noble message to make, but did he have to chose me? What made him think I could make him happy?

I looked into the mirror on the wall and surveyed my reflection. I looked terrible. My skin was so pale next to the other werewolves and yet it was covered in dark blotches wherever it would look least attractive. My hair was thin and stringy, unlike the usual thick, luxurious manes that werewolves should have. My teeth were small and pointed, not strong and sharp like other wolves. If I bit someone in a fight, I would probably lose several teeth as they tried to pull away. My ears were pointer than a wolf's, and black-tipped and my tail was thin and short.

I was horribly ugly. A useless mate.

How could I compare to Damon, who had everything a girl like me could want? Did he only do this to humiliate me?

"Omega. Congratulations."

I flinched and turned around. Beta stood behind me. The sun through the door lit up her silver hair, giving her a halo of curls.

"Have you made yourself comfortable in your new home?" She asked, leaning on the door frame.

"Y-yes, Beta. Thank you." I stammered. She truly was a huntress, sneaking up on me without a sound!

"Good." She glanced outside at the sky, "Tonight you will join my brother in the ancestral howl to present yourself as a worthy mate. This will complete your union with him."

My blood ran cold. I forgot that tonight was howl night. The full moon.

"Do you have any questions?" She asked, giving me permission to speak.

"Um... Is there any way for this to... Fail? This can't go through, can it?"

Beta smirked, "This won't be the first time an Alpha and an Omega have become mates. And it won't be the last. But yes, there are ways for this to fail. For example, if the ancestors deny you."

I blinked, "the... Ancestors?"

"Yeah. The howl is when we speak with the wolves of the past. If they say 'no' then Alpha's gotta find another mate."

I felt fear and shame burn in my chest. My packmates spoke all the time about how they would talk to the ancestors when they howled. I never saw or heard anything when I howled. I always thought it was a myth.

I should have known better.

I just couldn't see them because I was a half-breed.

"Having reservations?" Beta asked softly.

I shook my head, "I just... They're going to refuse me."

"I've got a secret to tell you, Omega." Beta moved closer to me and put her hand on my shoulder, "The ancestors don't care. They let us do what we want and as long as the pack is still here, they don't care what we do or who we mate with. As long as we obey pack law, we're fine."

"But-"

"But nothing." She smirked, "Your parents broke pack law and they paid for it. You may be the result of their crime, but you haven't broken any laws. Which is why you are a member of the pack. You are our sister and the ancestors will see that."

I blinked back tears, "I... Thank you Beta."

"Call me Big Sister." She corrected me, "Now, I've got to get you ready for tonight. Come with me."