The Choice

Damon didn't come to greet me when I got home.

I don't know why I expected him to.

The cabin was too big. Too empty. I sat in the bed, alone. This was my life, wasn't it? Bouncing back and forth between two husbands that didn't love me.

I hung my head. I was worthy of love. I was so worthy of a proper partner. Why didn't anyone see past my species and want to be with me? All I wanted was for someone to tell me they wanted me. Not for obligations to their pack, not to get back at their ex and definitely not to fulfil some perverse desire.

I grit my teeth. Why was this my life? I could have been born as anyone. Why did I have to be me?

For a moment an idea formed. I would run away. I would go to the humans. They never judged me. They would accept me and they'd never have to know what I was.

I stood. That was it. The humans were my best option. Nobody would try to find me there. Nobody would really care, would they?

I headed towards the ladder to the lower level and flinched. Damon was on the ground floor, about to climb up.

My plan went out the window as his brown eyes glittered in the fading light.

"You're home." He said, "How was your trip?"

I scowled, "It was marriage to a vampire. Fill in the details yourself."

He gracefully ascended the ladder, sitting down next to me, "I'm sorry, that must have been terrible. I'm glad you're back."

I looked away, "Were you hoping I'd love him?" I said, "If I choose Vansius, that means that you can be with Becka."

"Becka..." Damon gently took my hand and lifted me to my feet, "I'm sorry I didn't greet you. I was actually speaking to Becka."

I nodded, "That's fine." I wouldn't be a jealous wife. I would let him do what he wanted. He didn't matter to me.

"This month, I have thought long and hard about the future and what I want. I've finally started to think about my own heart, rather than the needs of the pack and I realized... I did act impulsively when I called you to be my mate, but Becka wasn't on my mind at all when I did it."

I looked at his eyes, almost afraid to make contact after the vampire, "What are you saying?"

"I told her I didn't love her." He said, "I grew up with Becka. Everyone has told me that Becka is the best mate for me. Her parents were very close to mine, which made my father want us to be together even more. I was so afraid of disrupting this idea that my pack has given me that I never even considered that I may love another. Diana is the only one who really knew. She knows how I truly feel towards Becka, which is why she doesn't approve of her. She would never see me with someone I didn't love."

My voice caught in my throat, "Then why didn't she stop you from being with me?"

He gave a wobbly smile, a rare show of vulnerability, "Because maybe she realized that I would never have asked you to be my mate if I hadn't seen you and felt something that no other wolf had given me. Bloodmoon, I saw them saying those things about you and my heart broke. I realized that you are more of a victim of our ways than I am, but you are truly the only one who could understand me. Who could understand how it feels to be a slave to tradition."

"I..." I blinked rapidly, "You're not lying to me to make me feel better?"

He shook his head, "Maybe I don't have fully devoted love towards you, but I have seen you and decided that I would like to build that love. If you'll allow it. Omega Bloodmoon... Will you be my mate?"

My heart raced. I gave a small nod, "I will..."

Without his initiation, I pulled close to him and stood on my tiptoes to press my lips against his. He pressed me against his body, lifting me into his arms so I could better reach his face.

I stroked his soft hair, finally feeling the power that the alpha's mate held. The pack may have been his. But he was mine.

I felt like the most beautiful creature in the world.

  🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺

I began taking my role more seriously. If the alpha was supposed to make leadership decisions, then his mate was supposed to give him a second opinion. The elders would guide him, but it was my duty to make sure that he received advice from somebody who was thinking about him and the pack, rather than their own gain. The old wolves were loyal, but they were sometimes blinded by tradition.

We also began to train together, for battle in both our human and wolf forms. I learned how to protect him in battle, keeping an enemy from striking his eyes, throat or gut. It was exhausting and I became fatigued more often.

When I would grow too tired, Damon would lay next to me in bed and talk to me about whatever came to mind. Sometimes it was strategies and important business, while other times it was just chatter about whatever had happened that day.

It was my favorite place to be.

The blissful month began to come to a close and I started to dread the return to that castle. As the days to visit Vansius ticked down, I made another discovery that would change everything.

Hey! Thanks for reading! You guys know I couldn't let Damon be a bad husband for long. He's too hunky for that.

The question for this chapter is... What do you think Bloodmoon discovered? Theories in the comments! :D