Safe

I dreamt that I was adrift in a black ocean, gasping for breath. I couldn't tell the sky from the sea and every time I opened my eyes, salt invaded them, blinding me.

I let go, succumbing to the waves that tore at me and dragged me lower.

But then, something grabbed my hand.

I was on a flowery hillside, with the moonlight bathing me in light. The night air smelled sweet and the grass was soft and warm like a blanket. I lay down, letting out a with of relief. I snuggled closer to a form beside me. Who was it? They were asleep, their sides rising and falling gently. I cuddled against them, absorbing the warmth.

I opened my eyes.

Oh, shoot, that was Damon.

I scurried away as quietly as I could, my heart pounding. He didn't wake up and I sighed in relief.

We had gone to bed together, with him staying up longer to make sure I was safe. Despite this, I hadn't actually touched him very much until then. He was warm.

His back was facing me, which filled me with a new courage. I edged closer to him and wrapped my arms around his chest. He was my mate, after all, and if I wanted to cuddle him, that was my right.

I laid there awkwardly. I had never cuddled someone before. I wasn't sure what to do other than hold him. I had seen other wolves nuzzling their partners with their noses, so I rubbed mine against his bare back. It didn't feel as romantic as it looked. I probably wasn't supposed to smash my face so hard against him.

Suddenly, his body convulsed and I sprang away in terror. What had I done? What was happening?

He raised his head, his eyes wide, "S-sorry, did I startle you?"

I blinked. He had been laughing.

He lay back down, turning to face me, "What were you doing? Using me as a tissue?"

I went red and covered my face with my hands, "I'm sorry Alpha. I was... Cuddling."

He reached out and set his hand on my arm, "You were doing a great job."

No I wasn't, but I let him pull me back towards him, where I lay in an even more awkward position; directly facing him.

He sleepily smiled and touched my face with his hand, "Feel free to cuddle all you want, omega. I am yours to cuddle."

I didn't move. Now that he was awake, I had lost my courage. Part of me wanted to kiss his nose, but that would be weird, wouldn't it?

He seemed to pick up on my awkwardness and closed his eyes. I could still see his ears twitching though. Was he excited? Nervous? Maybe he was regretting his choices.

That was probably it. I closed my eyes and fell back into wonderful sleep.

🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺🌹🐺

I ran through the woods. I wasn't as fast as the other wolves, so I pumped my legs harder to keep up. I focused on Damon's tail, careful not to lose him. I was his mate. It wasn't my job to make a kill during the hunt, it was my job to make sure that the prey didn't injure him as he took it down.

The elk we went after were large and strong, able to kill a werewolf if the hunter wasn't careful. When Damon went for the kill, I would go in after him, pinning the Elk to the ground so it couldn't move.

That was why I had to stay close to him. I ran harder, feeling exhausted, but unable to stop. Damon let out a bay of excitement. He was getting close. Ahead of him, I could see the elk's white tail. It was getting tired.