ten

1 9 6 0

[im getting sentimental over you; tommy dorsey]

the sun streamed into the clustered kitchenette in stuart and john's flat, where the couple spent the evening. the golden glow of the sun was a comforting break from the gloomy days past even if clouds still hung lowly in the skies as a hazy fog, scraping along the top of the highest building amongst liverpool. however warm the sun may have been, the heater and teapot were the only things keeping anna's fingers and toes from falling off as she prepared a tray.

"g'morning sleepy. i made some tea." she watched as john stretched and opened his eyes, smiling at her.

"kiss me." he demanded playfully, wrapping his arms around her and bringing her into him for a soft kiss.

"now i have to work later and drop off my term paper." john rolled his eyes.

"it's always about school and work with ye." he poked her naked shoulder.

"it's my future, john." anna sighed, her mind starting to fall down a rabbit hole about their relationship when it came to the future.

"ye saying i'm not in this future ye speak of?" he childishly stabbed himself, snapping anna out of her trance and getting her to laugh as she pushed into him with her side.

"i didn't mean it like that. plus...don't you have a gig?"

"that's tonight. can ye make it after work?" he looked up at her like a little kid with a glow in his eyes.

"i think so." she smiled and cozied up next to him before pouring black tea from out of their little broken floral teapot. a knock sounded through the small room and john groaned, releasing anna of his grip so that she could grab it. when the white door brushed past her, it revealed a shivering stuart and holly.

"our heater is still broken and it feels as if hell has frozen over." holly joked as her blue lips quivered. anna escorted the pair inside and to the kettle, pouring out more tea for her unexpected guests.

"so was last night in order to have a baby?" john teased, throwing off the covers and walking to the wooden dresser to grab a pair of cotton pants.

"sod off." stuart hissed, before kissing holly's temple. anna draped a knitted blanket around the couple for extra warmth.

"john, i think it's rather wonderful If they want to have a baby." anna looked at him through the loose strands of golden hair falling from her face as she bent to the floor to pick up her clothes.

"ye hear that john? think ye've got yer own problem now." stu volleyed with a snicker.

"it's only a problem for those who can't pull out." john smirked and bent down to kiss anna before walking to the restroom. stuart left to go find someone in the building who could fix the heater, and that left anna and holly alone again.

"so tell me, how's it going?" holly blurted. anna laughed.

"it's all in my head, holl." anna sighed and got up to go to her bag, rummaging for the loose strand of notebook paper, handing it to holly who read it in silence.