Avengers II

Edited 6/24/14

Chapter 1

S.H.I.E.L.D. Central; New York, New York

"Welcome back, I trust you all had a wonderful vacation."

"One week doesn't count as a vacation, Fury. You save the world and all you get is a week."

"Feel free to take it up with the labor union later, Stark. Right now we have bigger issues, Thor?" Thor stood and looked each of his fellow Avengers in the eye.

"Loki is innocent." He held up a large hand, "Please, let me finish. When my brother and I returned to Asgard Loki was put on trial with the Allfather. There is a dark force out there strong enough to corrupt my brother's mind, and its next target is Midgard."

"So you want us to just believe somebody we've never met that a guy that killed over a thousand people simply didn't mean to?"

"The Allfather knows and sees everything-"

"Which is why his son attacked Earth, right."  

"Which is why you need to trust me when I say Loki was being controlled by someone else."

"Who?"  Bruce manage to ask the question everyone was thinking, but without the sarcasm that most would have used.

"Thanos."  Thor made the name sound like a curse.

"You expect us to just go along with this?"  Steve asked, warily.

"No, Captain, I don't." Fury said calmly.

"Well, what's the point of this then? Unless you have evidence..."

"That's the thing Doctor, I wouldn't call it evidence- but it's all we have."

...

They entered a large room with monitors and tech equipment everywhere. The far wall was curved and made up entirely of steel. Dozens of agents were swarming around guarding, checking equipment, and shouting orders.  Most didn't pay them any attention, despite the strange sight they made- even by S.H.I.E.L.D. standards.

"Director."

"Agent Hill. Is everything ready?"

"Yes."

"Good, it's time we got some answers. Send for Agent Mason."

"Yes, sir." She nodded and walked away.

"Right this way." Fury led them through another door into a room with more monitors and a table. "Have a seat." He was silent while he pulled several files up on the glass surface of the table. "Seventeen years ago we we're informed about a child with- special abilities. We contacted the parents and they declined our offer to train their child. A few years ago that same person joined our program. She is the key to finding out if Loki is guilty or not."

"And how is this person going to do that?"

"That isn't my information to give; she should be here any minute now." As if on cue, Agent Hill walked in. Behind her was a petite girl with long, curly caramel hair that framed her pretty heart-shaped, slightly elfin face. She was wearing the customary dark suit and jacket, as it was she was still a few inches shorter than the woman she was followng. The most startling of all were her eyes; they were a silvery grey that seemed to shift to different colors when she moved. "This is Agent Mason."

She nodded politely, focussing on Natasha and Clint.

"I'll let her explain to you just what her talents are." Agent Mason seemed annoyed by this, but didn't protest.  "Hmm, how to start? I think I'll give Mr. Stark over there a few more seconds and let him tell you." She smirked at Tony who had been absorbed with his phone since she was introduced. He looked down and started reading off of his screen.