Chapter 13

Well, here we are- unlucky number 13.  Here in the next few chapters, things are going to heat up for our heroes, and I'd like to take the time to tell you one of my favorite writing quotes:

"Your characters are like geodes, if you want to see what they're really made of- you must break them."

Chapter 13

Error.

Error.

"JARVIS, did Tony happen to change the code?"

"Mr. Stark last changed the passcode for this lab forty minutes ago.  Would you like me to alert him to your presence?"  Pepper peered through the glass, and it took her a moment to find the three genii amidst the whirlwind of screens and monitors.  Agent Mason was sitting with one hand on a strange metal device, while the other was racing across a piece of paper.  Tony was standing with his back to the door, concentrating intently on what Agent Mason was writing- occasionally tapping one of the many monitors surrounding him.  Bruce was opposite Tony, constantly watching the two screens placed in front of him.

"That won't be necessary JARVIS, just let me know when they take a break."

...

Stark Tower, Master Bedroom, 3 AM EST; New York, New York

"JARVIS?"  Pepper called into the darkness of her room.

"Yes, Miss Potts?"

"Where's Tony?"

"Mr. Stark is currently in lab seven."

"Are Bruce and Katherine with him?"  Pepper asked, making her way towards the elevator.

"Dr. Banner retired approximately one hour ago.  I started reminders to sleep at twelve, but I'm afraid they muted me after Dr. Banner left."

"Why didn't you tell me when they took a break?" 

"They haven't yet ma'am."

"Figures," Pepper muttered, "Any chance you could open the door for me JARVIS?"

"I believe it is in my abilities to do so."

"You're the best, Jay."

The glass door popped open with a pneumatic hiss.  "I know."

Pepper padded softly towards the oblivious pair.  Their positions were unchanged from eight hours ago, except for the addition of more technology and papers- if that was possible. The two were so lost in thought that they didn't notice when Pepper crept up behind them to see what they were working on.  Spread out over the table were papers filled with writing.  Some were meaningless scribbles and others what looked like formulas and diagrams.