Chapter 4

Hello, lovelies! In case you didn't notice, THIS STORY HAS 1,000+ READS! Thank you all so much! It also hit #29 (I believe) in Action and #68 in Adventure! I love you all! I have a /small/ hint about a big scene thats coming up for anyone that wants it! Just PM me, comment, or message and I'll tell you! Enjoy the chapter :D. Don't forget to comnent!

Chapter 4

The door shut behind Clint quietly, but not before he mouthed a 'good luck' over his shoulder. It was unclear whether it was meant for Fury or for Agent Mason. The room was completely quiet, its occupants having a silent staring contest-each waiting for the other to back down. It was Fury who finally gave in, purely for the fact he was loathe to waste time on a matter that could clearly last for a while.

"Anything interesting?" He didn't have to say more, she knew exactly what he was referring to.

"Your standards or mine?"

"Mine would be nice." She merely nodded thoughtfully, considering her answer.

"Yes." Agent Mason looked him levelly in the eye with a straight face.

"Alright, I'll bite. What'd you find?"

"It seems that they have found a way to get here that we don't know about."

"Explain."

"Well, I haven't had time to process it all yet, but there are a few promising leads. It seems as if only a small number can come through at a time."

"I hear a 'but' coming."

"But," She said, nodding, "it seems they have found a way to influence humans aside from the scepter."

"So why the big show? Why not just use this other way?"

"From what I gathered, it's very limited."

"How so?"

"Well, for one- the bigger the mass the longer it, whatever it is, takes to charge. It also seems to take immense power to operate."

"That's why they needed the tesseract."

"Partly. It had a lot of uses; transportation, power, weapons-"

"How far did they get?" Fury asked, wearily.

"Planning stages, Loki never had the chance to hand it over."

"Good. So they don't have any means to get more operatives down here?"

"That, Loki actually didn't know. Believe it or not, he wasn't told everything." Fury raised an eyebrow at her tone.

"Sorry." She mumbled, rubbing her forehead. "It's been a long day."

"So I've heard. What did Doctor Carson say?"

"I'm fine, just a little more tiring than I thought it would be. I'll be good as new by morning."

"You'll understand that I have to ask him personally."

"Of course, I wouldn't expect anything different."

"And his word goes, if he doesn't clear you-"

"He will."

"Nonetheless, I want your opinion. If the need arises for you to go on a field mission-"

"I'll do it."

"I won't force you to do this, but if you're ready..." Fury trailed off, leaving the thought open. Agent Mason took a deep breath, and closed her eyes for a moment. When she spoke her voice was strained, but confident.

"I can't hide forever, if I'm needed- I'll be there."

"Good, I was hoping you'd say that. What about Loki, how should we deal with him?" Agent Mason quirked an eyebrow and looked at him, incredulously.

"You're asking me?"

"Don't get used to it. I just want to know how much, if any, we should trust him."

"Well," She started, slowly. "He wasn't really, ah, um, mentally there during most of it."

"We already knew he was insane."

"Not that,". Agent Mason said impatiently. "There isn't really a word for me to explain it with..."

"Take your time." She glared at him.

"I guess 'in control' would be best. He was aware of what he was doing, but he didn't want to do it. Well, a few things he agreed with- but they were mostly harmless."

"Mostly?"

"He did, or I should say does, feel like He was ignored because of Thor. I'd imagine that Thanos took that anger and multiplied it to get the obvious results."

"So what should we do with him?"

"Give me a few days on that, but in the meantime- make sure he's comfortable. We don't want to risk triggering anything that might be left from Thanos."

"Understood, anything else?"

"Don't let him see anyone he may have fought, or even seen, while he was being controlled." She paused, "I would include Thor in that too, but I'd rather deal with an angry Loki than the aftermath of him not being able to see his brother."

"Is that why two of some of my hardest agents are in the infirmary mumbling about a man- mountain?"

"Yes, and I don't think he was even trying."

"Very well," Fury sighed. "Anything else?"

"Your team," she gestured towards the door. "Seems to have trust issues."

"Not exactly surprising, Stark?"

"He's definitely the biggest, the rest have some doubts- but don't think I'm completely crazy or a double agent."

"So what did you do to Stark?"

"If I act like I don't know what you're talking about, will you believe me?"

"No."

"Worth a shot, do you mind telling me what you think I did?"

"There was one question in particular that he seemed intent on asking, but never did."

"And so, naturally, you think I did something."

"Stop stalling."

"Fine," Agent Mason said, resigned. "I just distracted him a bit."

"Mentally or verbally?"

"Bit of both. He has a strong mind, it won't be long until he wants an answer again."

"And then what do you plan to do?"

"Why," she grinned mischievously, "I'll tell him the official story."

"And you think that will work?"

"Why wouldn't it? Only a few people know the real reason, yourself included. And none of them will be inclined to tell him, or anyone else, differently. Besides, if worst comes to worst- I'll hack one of his precious computers. He'll be quite busy after that."

"So why not tell him now?"

"I just needed time."

"That's one thing we're all going to be short on for a while," he stood up, "I want a full report on my desk tomorrow."

"Yes sir."