Chapter 12

Thor 2 was awesome.  Carry on.

1 Hour Later, S.H.I.E.L.D. OP Van #57, Road I-78, New Jersey

"Objective complete, sir.  Team intact, with an addition.  En route to base now."  If any of the other cars on the interstate would happen to be paying any particular attention to the nondescript van, they wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary.  Inside a young woman in dark clothes seemed to be talking to a man around her age, perhaps her husband, while checking her reflection in the drop down compact mirror.  Inside the van, an entirely different scene was taking place.

"An addition, Agent Romanoff?"  Fury's face was severe, even slightly distorted by the screen. 

"Yes sir."

"Pray tell, what kind of an addition.  Last time Agent Barton had an addition I ended up with you."  Fury's comment silenced the vehicle.  Due mostly to the fact that Tony had complained about it,  they had kept their previous seats.  In doing so, it inadvertently gave Agent Mason the coveted spot of being able to see the screen, while still being out of the camera's line of sight.

She took a deep breath and stopped Fury's inevitable rant before it started, "It's an 0-8-4, sir."  Agent Mason said calmly and shifted a few inches to allow Fury to see her face.  It was the Director's turn to be silent.

"Do you require an escort to the Slingshot, Agent?" 

"No sir, with all due respect- I don't think that will quite work here."  Fury glanced at the other two official agents before speaking.

"I want the full story in 15 minutes.  Don't be late."  Only when the screen had reverted to its mirror-like appearance did the passengers allow themselves to talk.

"What's an 0-8-4?"  As usual, Tony was never left speechless long.

"It's an unknown object,  they can get pretty interesting."  Clint didn't take his eyes off the road, but they could all see the smirk on his face in the mirror.

"Interesting how?"  Steve sounded apprehensive.  Agent Mason smiled wryly at him before answering.