Chapter 15

This is Chapter 15 and part of Chapter 16 in one.  Running Chpater total is now at 25 + an Epilogue and an End Credit Scene for fans only.

"Why do you fight?" Agent Mason had been staring thoughtfully out the window since before Steve has slid into the backseat beside her, and hadn't acknowledged him since.

"Excuse me?" Steve had been looking out the opposite window at modern D.C., sensing his companion wasn't in the mood for conversation.

"Seventy years ago you were fighting a war, which is admirable, but you've done your duty- no one would blame you if, well, you retired." She had turned from the view and was watching him intently.

"Well, I guess I'm fighting for freedom."

"That didn't sound very confident."

"I don't like bullies."

"That's a better answer," she gave him a small smile, "though you may be working with the wrong people." Agent Mason gestured to herself and the agents surrounding them in the car.

"What do you fight for?"

"The illusion of freedom." She gave a dry chuckle at Steve's questioning look, "Freedom is all relative, but people don't realize just how little they have. Freedom has a high cost, S.H.I.E.L.D pays it, in the 'best interests' of society, and gives the illusion of freedom while making decisions that affect billions of people. I guess that's what I fight for too." Agent Mason seemed to be looking past Steve, lost in her own thoughts.

"That doesn't seem like a good way to live."

"You're telling me." She gave him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "So, what makes you keep fighting now, for a broken society and corrupt governments?"

"Hope." He chuckled when Agent Mason made a face at him. "I'm serious, there will always be bad people in the world, and when we lose hope- they win."

"You make it sound so simple." The SUV made a turn, catching Agent Mason's attention. "Where are we going?"

The agent in the passenger seat responded without taking his eyes off of the road, "Direct orders from Director Fury, we're to proceed to the Triskelion immediately." Not a moment after he finished speaking, four identical cars appeared out of nowhere- falling into a line with them smoothly.

Agent Mason turned to the man next to her with a wicked smile, her previous melancholy forgotten. "You're going to love this."

...

"So you know how to fly one of these things?" Steve asked skeptically from the cargo hold of the quinjet while Agent Mason lounged in the pilot's seat.

"Of course," she flashed him a grin over her shoulder, "Clint never lets me though, the only reason Natasha gets to is he knows she can kick his ass."

"It makes her feel better to be in control," the archer in question supplied as he boarded the jet, "she's a terrible backseat driver." His female counterpart cleared her throat behind him, and he quickly amended his statement. "And she can kick my ass. You," he pointed at the innocent-looking Mason, "up."

Natasha moved past Clint, making room for the rest of the team. She nudged Agent Mason's leg with one of her knees, ignoring the blonde's puppy-dog face with practiced ease. "Might I remind you that you never actually passed the practical aviation test?"

The younger girl gave an irritated huff and allowed herself to be pulled to her feet. "Might I remind you that I broke the record for the avionics theory assessment that stood for seventeen years?"