^ 03

03 | manager

(Y/N) EXCUSED HERSELF FROM CONVERSING BETWEEN THE GROUP OF UPPERCLASSMEN FROM THE CLUB, GETTING TO KNOW THEIR SUBTLE INFORMATION ABOUT VOLLEYBALL, NOT UNTIL—

HER PHONE RUNG LIKE THERE WAS NO TOMORROW. She hurriedly tapped the green button, not even knowing who was in the caller id.

"Hello?"

"(y/n), this is your old man. Me and sensei aren't going to be around. We're looking out for potential players by the following year. Take over for us."

"Wait... so you're telling me that I'm going to take over for the club—

And the other line went off. You groaned in disbelief, thinking about how to handle some bunch of boys. (y/n) strided back and forth in a nearly dashed pace— How could she been left with this kind of work? All she's signed up for was a manager. How could she go more far than that?

"Are you okay?" Ushijima asked, towering your figure with his tall build. Your eyes met for about a couple seconds straight, before glancing over the boys who had worried faces. After (y/n) received the call, she just went blank, and began oscillating like a pendulum—that made the players gaze at you in frustrated looks. No one dared to abort your mini daydream, which Ushijima compulsively thought to check on you.

"Can I say something regarding today's practice?" (y/n) declared, raising her voice, making everyone in the gym look at one another before locking their eyes at you.

"Washijo-coach called, saying that he and sensei were out for some business. He doesn't want to call out the practice, so he wants me to take over... is that fine?"  The boys took in your words, completely nodding at you and waited for your orders before proceeding.

"Hmm.." (y/n) was really startled, but part of her wants to keep it cool. "The thing is, I haven't had to view your stance in this or that. Anyhow, I want you to split into two teams and play for just two sets. That'd be enough to figure it out."

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

"Match point!"

Semi gracefully served the ball to the other side, which was received by a 3rd year named Yura, then got the ball set by a fellow 3rd year with ease, passing it to Ushijima who slammed it shut on the opposite net. But, to your suprise, Satori forcefully stopped the ball from going in the net— blocking it completely with a loud thud.

(y/n) blew her whistle to end the game, and helped Soekawa to distribute the towels and the water bottles to the freshly drained boys who sat on the benches.

"Man, I love that feeling! Wakatoshi-kun, you should be more aware so your spikes won't get blocked with my guesses!" Satori exclaimed proudly, taking a big gulp of his water. Ushijima didn't really mind, but he shook his head either way. You knew what it felt being blocked, and it was truthfully annoying.

(y/n) fiddled with the clipboard in her hands, still thinking about how the game go and made alot of ideas that went running in her head.

"Do you play volleyball back then, (y/n)-chan?" Satori asked out of the blue, making you frown.

"I did. Back then." You replied coldly,  still frowning down at the polished floor.

"Uh.. what are we gonna do next, Washijo-san?" The rest of the upperclassmen walked to you, lingering for your signal on what to do subsequently.

"Right. For the second and third years, switching roles would be expected. If you're a setter, then try to spike. Middle blockers are always near the net, so I need you to work on how to mostly set a ball." (y/n) paused, and glanced at her notes before she went again.

"As for the first years, Semi, I'll need to watch you do a pinch serve first aside anything else. Reon and Satori, will do blocks for Ushijima for as long as he can go— and please track the points, though. Hayato and the second-year, Touma-san. You two are both slow, and not to mention you suck at diving. Soekawa will assist by my side. Does everyone follow?"

"H-hai..."

(y/n) placed down her clipboard, and removed her jacket afterwards. The boys were fazed to move and just stared at you. "Did I stutter? Get on the court, now."

"H-HAI!!!"