Chapter 6: Nut Job

When we left the invention room, we found ourselves in a hallway going down in a circular motion. The walls were metal like and the floor was just a long red carpet that covered the whole way. As we walked in a rapid pace Willy said.

"Without the boat, we'll have to move double-time just to keep on schedule. There's far too much to see."

"Mr Wonka?" Charlie asked Willy.

"Yeah?" He asked him not looking back.

"Why did you decide to let people in?"

"Well, so they could see the factory, of course." He said.

"But why now? And why only five?" Charlie asked then looked at me. "Were you looking for someone in specific?"

Willy opened his mouth to answer but got cut off.

"What's the special prize, and who gets it?" Mike said glaring at Willy.

"The best kind of prize is a sur-prise." Willy said and gave a wide mouth fake laugh.

"Will Violet always be a blueberry?" Veruca asked moving next to Willy and looking up to him with fake innocence.

"No. Maybe. I don't know." He said. "But that's what you get from chewing gum all day. It's just disgusting." Then he crinkled his nose.

"If you hate gum so much, why do you make it?" Mike asked him rudely.

"Once again, you really shouldn't mumble. 'Cos it's kinda starting to bum me out." Willy said.

"Can you remember the first candy you ever ate?" Charlie asked.

"No" he said and stopped walking, then just looked into space. "I'm sorry, I was having a flashback."

"I see" Mr. Salt said.

"These flashbacks happen often?" Mr. Teavee asked him pushing his glasses up.

"Increasingly. . . today" he said not moving his gaze from were he spaced out before.

Then we kept moving. After a few steps, we stopped in front of a room with a similar round door just like the rest and it said 'Nut Room'.

"Ah, this is a room I know all about." Mr. Salt said. "For you see, Mr Wonka, I, myself, am in the nut business." He gave Willy a card which he immediately threw away. "Are you using the Havermax four thousand to do
your sorting?"

And then we entered the room. It was a giant room with squirrels in chairs, pealing nuts. On the center, there was a giant hole and some of the squirrels threw the nuts in.

"No." He said to Mr. Salt. "You're really weird."

"Squirrels" Veruca said going to the railing separating us from the squirrels.

"Yeah. Squirrels." Willy said "These squirrels are specially trained to get the nuts out of shells."

"You use squirrels?" Mr. Salt asked him. "Why not use Oompa-Loompas?"

"Because only squirrels can get the whole walnut out almost every single time." Wily said. "You see how they tap each one with their little knuckles to make sure it's not bad?"

Then he pointed to one of them and said "Oh, look. Look. I think that one's got a bad nut."

The one he pointed was knocking the nut and then trowing it to the giant hole.

"Daddy, I want a squirrel. Get me one of those squirrels. I want one." Veruca said to her father.

'Yikes' I mouth to Willy. He sniffles a laugh.