Chapter 4

***(Kai's POV)***

I'm so relieved when the sun finally sets. It's sweltering hot outside, and Lloyd and I have both been shouting insults at each other ever since we started training. All. Day.

I put up my gear and trudge into the monastery. Even though I'm literally going the pace of a snail, I still beat Lloyd to the shower.

I smirk. The fire ninja beating the green ninja. Who would've thought?

I grab a towel and try to pull off my shirt, but my muscles barely have the strength to move. I am going to be so sore tomorrow. Good thing the blacksmith's shop is closed on weekends.

I finally get my shirt over my head. Now, I just have to –

"Kai!" Nya yells, rushing in.

"What the – get out!" I scream. Goodness, you think people would knock occasionally! "You know this is the boys' bathroom! You literally have to walk through the bunkroom to get here!"

"But Kai, you're never going to believe what I found out!"

"That graduating with honors from an Ivy League university is far preferable to makeup and exceeding your texting plan?"

"No, Kai! I have powers, too!" she squeals.

*MUSIC CUEEEEEE*

"Wait. You – that's not possible!"

"It is," she insists. "Master Wu told me that our mom was the master of water, and that I inherited her element! I didn't even think he knew our parents!"

"Oh, come on! Does everybody have an elemental power now?" I exclaim. Then, I turn to her, intrigued. "Wait. You mentioned our parents? But - they never told us." I totally forgot about my conversation with Skylor this morning. I wonder how soon I can get her to read my mind...

"Yes, Kai. He knew them before they got married and had us." She throws her arms around me. "I get to be a ninja, just like you!"

My whole world stops spinning. Nya – a ninja?

"I – I need to go," I mutter, scrubbing a hand over my eyes. I'm seeing spots. This is not good.

"Kai, what's wrong?" she asks, right beside me. "You need to take a shower. You smell awful."

"I have to go," I whisper, stumbling out.

"Kai, put on your shirt! I don't care that you're ripped." She tugs the clothing out of my hands. "Bend down," she commands.

Not processing anything well, I do as she says. She pulls the shirt over my head, then helps me get my arms through.

"And sit down, for crying out loud!" she orders.

"No. Nya – I need to go."

"Go do what?" she questions. "You're just going to leave me here?"

"Go...hang out with the guys or something. I'll pick you up later." I lurch upward and all but run out the door.

"You're not making any sense!" Nya calls after me.

I ignore her.

Then, I regret that decision when I realize I still need her help.