Chapter 6

***Finally, a chapter. I had a super long shift at work today, and I really wanted to write some Jaya scenes (also, I had the MOST HILARIOUS idea for another AU), but here we go. I like this. There's plot, there's cuteness...I'm happy.***

***(Kai's POV)***

I drive home in shock. Ronin? He and I haven't really spoken since Nya and I left for Ninjago City, but...how could he keep this a secret?

And Nya – why didn't she tell me any of this? I mean, she at least could've mentioned that Ronin was present at our parents' death, even if she wasn't willing to confess the whole story.

Skylor's parting words ring in my head: "Cut her some slack, Kai. And don't you dare tell her I read your mind. When she's ready, she'll discuss things with you."

Of course, my departure ended in an argument with Skylor. As always.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever be on the same side. It stinks, given that I really -

Just as I pull into the blacksmith's shop, I realize I forgot something.

My little sister.

I hit my head against the steering wheel and throw the car in reverse.

Stupid me. Stupid brain, for keeping these memories locked away. Stupid Ronin, for not caring enough to tell me.

Stupid Nya, for...

Oh, who am I kidding? I want to blame her, but I just can't.

Suddenly, my car collides with something. My foot slams on the brake pedal, and I mutter a curse.

I should've waited for Skylor to read my memory another night.

I put the vehicle in park and climb out to assess the damage.

I do a double-take.

The back of my junk car has an entirely new dent, but...

There's nothing around for me to have hit.

I shake my head. Maybe Skylor somehow jumbled my memories when she read my mind. That could mean I'd forget a dent in the car.

But...the force of the impact was real, and that was just a moment ago.

As I bend closer to the bumper, I see a piece of paper. Huh. Maybe one of the guys left it there, and I just didn't notice it earlier.

I squint at the scrawl.

Stay out of this. Don't think I don't know who you are.

- Your friend

Um, my friends typically don't say stuff that cryptic.

I think hard. Jay doesn't have good handwriting, and Cole's is even worse. But this script – I've never seen it before.

Maybe Skylor wrote the note? But she seems like the kind of person to have immaculate writing. She also doesn't seem like the kind of person to write something weird like that.

I shake off the chill racing down my spine and climb back in the car.

At the monastery, Nya is waiting on the front steps, face in her hands. Lloyd is sitting next to her, trying to show her something on his phone.