Chapter 12

***Oh, the drama. Have fun with this one. I'm sure the cover for the background music just puts you to rest...**

***(Kai's POV)***

It took Jay and Zane a while to rig the sheet and projector, but they eventually got the hang of it. Nya was ecstatic. We laid a couple of blankets out across the sand, and once the sun set, we decided to start the movie.

An hour and a half into the show, I look over to see Nya is conked out. Her head rests against Jay's chest.

I elbow Skylor, who's currently cuddled up against me. "I hate to bother you, but I kind of need to get up. I don't like how close Jay and my sister are."

Her relaxed eyes come to meet mine. "Hmm?"

"Just look at them," I sigh, gesturing to the two.

"Um...it really just looks like she was tired, so she fell asleep with her head on the closest person to her."

"Cole's on her other side! She could have totally used him as a human pillow!"

She rolls her eyes. "Calm down, Kai. If it were Cole, you would've complained that she could've used Jay. You're being overprotective again."

"Am not! Don't you recall the whole sunscreen incident? Or the fact that she can dance because Jay introduced her to some stupid arcade game when they were out the other day? That guy is totally hitting on my sister!"

"I don't think Jay even knows how to hit on anyone. Besides, Cole's way too bulky to make a good pillow. I would've chosen Jay, too."

I scoff. "Excuse me? I'm right here!"

She laughs a little. "Kai, you know for a fact I'd pick you over Jay and Cole both."

"Let's keep things that way." I nestle her back into my arms.

"Uh...Kai...you know we aren't technically a couple yet, right? You don't really have a say in whom I cuddle with."

"And why aren't we official yet?" I frown.

"Because you said you wanted to take things slow yesterday morning?"

"Oh, right. That." I place my lips right next to her ear. "But I think things have changed since then."

She shivers a little. "How so?"

I lean my head toward hers, sending her a slow wink. "I think I'm falling for you."
She quirks a brow. "Oh, really?"

"Congratulations."

Skylor thinks for a moment. "I guess being your girlfriend wouldn't be that bad, Kai Smith. Let's see: I'd have to deal with your super overprotectiveness, your temper, the way you think you're the best thing to ever happen to – "

"And those are just a few of my incredible traits," I smile charmingly. "So, what do you think? Wanna be my girl?"

"On one condition."

I frown. "There are conditions?"

"Yes. The one condition is that you don't choose our song from the pool of country music."

I laugh. "Fine by me, Skye. But mark my words, I will get you to like it someday."

She smiles and kisses my cheek. "We'll see about that, Kai Smith."