14. the letter - kehlani

I have finally moved back into our old house after 1 and a half years. Years that I've shared daily with Dixie and the rest of the Hype House members. I never told my parents why I moved out of the house, I just told them that I miss them and being home.

Unpacking my stuff from the house and moving back into my house, is my first itinerary. I opened my cabinet and noticed a gift box with my name on it. As I was still busy fixing my things, I decided to set it aside until I'm done with my chores. It wasn't until my second day at home that I remembered about the box and I haven't opened it yet.

I got the box where I left it on my desk yesterday. I turned it around and observed that it doesn't appear to be new, as it's colors on the edges are already faded. Except for the writing "Addison" in the card infront, there were no indications as to where or who was it from.

I went out of my room to look for Mom.

"Mom, did this come from you?"

She stepped out of the kitchen and walked up to me. She touched the box, trying to recall where it came from.

"Ah, I remember. Your Auntie Dennise gave that to me last year."

"Auntie Dennise?"

"Yes, our former neighbor in our old house. I visited her sometime last year. She said that she has had that for a long time, but she didn't know our new address."

"Ok, but who is it from?"

"It was left with her by your friend. But she couldn't recall the name as that was somewhat 7 years ago. I've had that since last year, but I guess I placed it in your room and forgot to give it to you."

Raising my eyebrows in confusion, I scratched my head, "okay, thanks mom."

I went back in my room and sat on my bed. I was holding the box, and for some reason, I felt nervous to open it. "Don't be silly, cmon open it."

I opened the box and inside was an envelope and another smaller box inside. Taking the envelope, I opened the letter and started reading it.

---

April 10, 2013

Dear Addison,

Today is your graduation so, Congratulations!

Sorry for the ugly penmanship. I'm writing this letter while sitting outside your house at 9PM. I was planning to suprise you, I waited here, hoping you'll be home soon. But I guess I was the one who was suprised when your neighbor told me that you don't live here anymore.

It's sad to think that we've lost touch that much that you didn't even bother telling me that you're leaving. For you to think that I wouldn't care when you're gone.

But what's worse is that I know it's my fault. I've chosen to distance myself from you because I'm falling for you Addison. Actually, I have already fallen for you. I just didn't know how to handle it, maybe because we we're still kinda young, so i just chose to stay away from you.

I guess I have the courage to say it through this letter because you're not here to reject me if ever. I don't even think my poor heart can take that. It's enough for me to say my feelings here because I don't even know if you'll ever get this letter.

I don't know if you still remember me if you ever receive this. Or if you still know my face and all when we meet again, but I'm sure of it, I will never forget you.

If fate intends for us to be together, then somehow, someway, you will receive this. If you don't, then I'll accept that it is our fate to be apart.

I love you Addison. And if you love me too, please wear this.

Love,

Dixie.

---

Addison could feel her head reeling, she felt that she would collapse any minute from now. Her whole body felt numb, she didn't know if she'll vomit or pass out. She read the letter over and over again, each time being more difficult than the next.

She opened the smaller box and found a necklace with the pendant "Addison Rae", (the picture at the top) and she lost it. I've been punishing myself for the past year and a half for being in love with her, only to find out she felt the same way.

FELT, past tense. She wrote this in 2013, 7 years ago. Maybe she already outgrown her feelings.

"If fate intends us for us to be together, then somehow, someway, you will receive this." The phrase kept echoing inside her head.

FATE.

She quickly changed her clothes and ran out of the room. She grabbed her car keys and drove back to the house.

---

While driving, she suddenly remembered who Dixie actually was..

7 years ago at volleyball training camp.

I have just turned 13 and was just recruited for the national team along with other teenagers.

"Addison Easterling?"

"HERE!" I screamed, as I came rushing to the center of the crowd.

"So, that comprises our team, 14 members in all. Your room assignments will be given to you in a few. Just spend this moment to get to know your other teammates." Our team manager left us to talk to our coach.

I tried fiddling with my phone just as an excuse for not talking to anybody. When I stood up, I immediately felt a cold grip in my heart, causing me to be off-balanced and almost fell back.

"Hey, are you okay?" She said while supporting me and trying to lift me up.

"Yup, I just felt dizzy. Thanks.." I paused and looked at her name tag, "Dixie Jane."

"Call me Dix or whatever you want. No worries, Roomie."

I fell silent with a questioning look, and she in turn flashed a document to my face.

"Says so right here," she said smiling while pointing to what I now read is the room assignments. "I think we'll have so much fun."

Dixie tapped my shoulder and told me to follow her to the dorm.

//

I'll be posting 2 times today! and it's the continuation for this chapter, hope y'all enjoy!! xx